Instant Pot Pina Colada Steel Cut Oats recipe is a fun tropical start to the day! Ready in about 30 minutes with only 5 minutes active time from you!
Breakfast doesn’t have to be boring and oatmeal isn’t just for winter. Once I discovered the ease of making steel cut oats in my Instant Pot, a whole new breakfast option developed. It’s perfect for busy mornings or frankly when you’d rather be sipping your coffee than slaving over the stove!
Around the holidays I made an Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats with Gingerbread Spices recipe that was out of this world. It was so comforting and homey. It begged for a warmer weather equivalent and this Instant Pot Pina Colada Steel Cut Oats recipe was born.
Tropical flavors speak to summer’s warmer temperatures and vacationing! I loved the idea of blending the two with the flavors of a favorite cocktail, the Pina Colada.
What Flavors are in a Pina Colada?
Pina Colada’s are a rum cocktail with coconut cream and pineapple juice. It’s a perfect cocktail to translate into this steel cut oats recipe because rum extract can be swapped for the actual rum to achieve the same flavor without drinking first thing in the morning (if you are a diehard traditionalist you can add real rum if you wish!)
The Difference Between Oatmeal and Steel Cut Oats?
Rolled oats (which are used for making ‘oatmeal’) and steel cut oats are both forms of oats but what differentiates them is how they are processed. The ‘groat’ which is the core of the oat grain with the hull removed is steamed and rolled (pressed) to create the flat rolled oat you are familiar with for oatmeal. Processing this way allows for faster cooking.
Steel cut oats are the original groat cut into a few pieces so are far less processed. The result of this is a more substantial bite like brown rice and more nutrition.
If you aren’t an oatmeal lover, you really need to give this steel cut oats recipe a try. The two forms of oats could not be more different. Though I personally find oatmeal a comforting memory of childhood, soft and warm, steel cut oats have a chewy bite I love.
Gluten-Free vs Regular Steel Cut Oats: What’s the Difference?
Gluten-free and regular (not gluten-free) steel cut oats are the same thing. The differentiating factor is how they are grown. Oats are naturally gluten-free but the conditions they are grown in predisposes them to gluten cross-contamination making them unsafe for those with Celiac Disease.
There are multiple brands offering certified gluten-free steel cut oats both in stores and online. I find Amazon a great source for gluten-free products when I can’t find them locally.
This recipe can be made with either gluten-free or regular steel cut oats.
How to Make Instant Pot Pina Colada Steel Cut Oats Recipe – Step by Step:
This recipe will require about 5 minutes active prep time from you (TIP: buy pre-cut pineapple for the topping and that time goes down further)!
- Coconut milk, pineapple juice, extracts and kosher salt are added to the Instant Pot
- Steel cut oats (gluten-free or regular) are stirred in
- The Instant Pot is sealed and set to Porridge setting, high pressure for 12 minutes
- Natural Release for 10 minutes, lid removed, oats stirred and allowed to warm for 2 additional minutes
- Top with chopped pineapple, grated coconut, maraschino cherries and serve!
NOTE: when the Instant Pot is first open after cooking there will be a layer of liquid on the top of the steel cut oats recipe. After a stir and sitting for two additional minutes, the steel cut oats are creamy (see photos below)!
I Don’t Have an Instant Pot! Can I Make these Conventionally?
Yes! I love to substitute juices or milk for the water in an oatmeal recipe. Follow the recipe on the package of steel cut oats but replace the water with an even mix of coconut milk and pineapple juice. Stir the rum extract in at the end.
I used a 6-quart Instant Pot multi-cookerfor this recipe.
Mind-Blowing Instant Pot Tips You Need to Know!
After developing Instant Pot recipes for the past few years, I’ve uncovered some unexpected, useful tips I think you’ll want to know!
Sign-Up below and I’ll tell you all my Instant Pot secrets!
More Breakfast Recipes to Make Your Morning EASY:
- Peach Pie Overnight Oats (the easiest breakfast ever!)
- Overnight French Toast Casserole in Red, White & Blue
- Cheesy Mexican Frittata
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Pina Colada Steel Cut Oats recipe or any other recipe on BoulderLocavore.com please don’t forget to RATE THE RECIPE and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Instant Pot Pina Colada Steel Cut Oats
Suggested Toppings (to be split between 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped Pineapple
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Grated Coconut
- 4 Maraschino Cherries
- cocktail umbrellas
- Add the pineapple juice, coconut milk, extracts and salt to the Instant Pot insert; stir. Pour in the steel cut oats; stir.
- Lock the lid in place, ensuring the vent is sealed. Select the Porridge setting, High Pressure and 12 minutes.
- When the cooking is completely allow 10 minutes of natural release. Follow with a manual relase of the remaining pressue. Remove the lid and stir the oats (there will be a layer of liquid on the top; see photo above) and allow to sit on the Warm seting for 1-2 minutes to thicken before serving.