This mousse has a full, natural strawberry flavor with a bit of a tang from the lemon juice; like the flavor of some sweet sour cream. I have a soft spot for pink desserts and this one is gorgeous! I love that it can be made up to two days ahead as well.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries hulled, cored and cut in half (if extra large cut into quarters)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 envelope gelatin
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a large saucepan. Allow liquid to come to a boil, reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently and cook until strawberries become soft; about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Pour into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into saucepan.
- Pour ¼ cup cold water into a small bowl. Add the gelatin and let soften for 5 minutes.
- Add gelatin mixture to the warm puree and stir until the gelatin melts. Allow mixture to fully cool at room temperature.
- In the bowl of a freestanding mixer (or in a large bowl with a hand held mixer) whip the cream until it holds still peaks. Add the cooled puree and fold to fully combine.
- Pour into serving containers, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
Yield: 4-8 ounce servings or 8-4 ounce servings