A classic Mojito is perfect for a summer sipping cool down with fresh mint, lime juice and rum. For a seasonal twist, muddled fresh blueberries make these Blueberry Mojitos as delicious as they are pretty in a jewel-tone pink! For those preferring no rum, a ‘faux-jito’ option is included.
At this time of year, my home garden screams for mint recipes. I’d show you a photo of what I’m talking about but I would be in full shame mode. A fortunate by product are these Blueberry Mojitos I’m sharing today.
Long time readers will recall the unfortunate gardening error I made oh so many years ago. Knowing far better than my final judgement, I went back and forth before sticking a little, unassuming mint plant in the ground instead of in a pot which I ultimately knew was the right choice. I rationalized ‘I can manage this’, and rhetorically propped myself up with ‘how far can one mint plant actually spread ANYWAY?!’.
Friends, if you ever find yourself asking that question, it’s a cosmic tap on the shoulder to tell you it will be far bigger than you can fathom. That tiny plant overtook the entire 4 foot by 10 foot raised garden bed. Mint spreads with runners underground, making it nearly impossible to eradicate once it’s taken hold. It has popped up along the sidewalk in a rocked-in bed, on the other side of a fence about 20 yards away. It’s fierce, this mint.
One saving grace about it is that when I went out to clip four measly stalks for the Blueberry Mojitos I noticed it’s beginning to flower and was full of bees. For any aware of the bee hive collapse going on right now, you’ll share my bliss. Anything allowing bees to thrive and pollinate is something I can get excited about.
For those enjoying traditional mojitos this is a fun seasonal twist that shakes up into a gorgeous jewel tone pink (you’d think it would be blue right?). It’s fresh and fabulous and a great sipper on a steamy summer day.
For those too young or choicefully teetotalling, no worries, I made a faux-jito version too! It has a bit more club soda and all the delicious ingredients other than the rum!
Blueberry Mojitos (with faux-jito option)
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed Lime Juice
- 4 ounces Light Rum
- ½ cup fresh Blueberries , rinsed (plus a few extra to add to the cocktails)
- Club Soda , chilled (aproximately 12 ounces; more if making the faux-jito)
- Optional garnish: lime wedges and extra small mint leaves
- In a cocktail shaker or quart size Mason jar combine the sugar, mint leaves and lime juice. Muddle vigorously. Add the blueberries and muddle again.
- Add the rum and a cup of ice; shake vigorously.
- Fill 2 14-ounce high ball glasses with crushed ice. Strain the shaken cocktail equally into the two glasses. Fill will club soda. Add a few blueberries, mint leaves and lime wedges to each mojito.
- Faux-jito option (no alcohol): Follow step 1 above. Add a ¼ cup of Club Soda instead of rum, along with ice, and shake vigorously. Follow step 3.