Baked Spaghetti Squash Caprese is an easy, flavor-packed meatless main dish you’ll love! Delicious oven baked Squash boats are loaded with marinated mozzarella cheese, fresh tomatoes and basil. An easy meatless main dish recipe.
Get ready for requests to have this on dinner menu repeat!
This irresistibly good spaghetti squash bake is a perfect mix of favorite fresh summer and winter flavors.
The simple ingredients combine to make a family-favorite meatless main dish everyone loves!
Fast and easy enough for busy weeknights and perfect for lazy weekend meals too!
Baked Spaghetti Squash
Winter squashes are known for their rich vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Spaghetti squash is low in calories and high in fiber too.
The thing that makes spaghetti squash stand out from the other winter squash varieties is its unique texture.
Once it is cooked it can be easily raked with a fork to make spaghetti like strands.
It’s a great alternative to traditional pasta for this reason.
The light flavor pairs well with many sauces. It’s a delicious meat free alternative to regular pasta recipes.
What is Caprese filling?
The filling in this baked spaghetti squash recipe comes from the famous Italian salad: Ensalada Caprese.
It’s a simple salad made of:
- fresh Mozzarella cheese
- fresh Basil
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
It’s delicious and the ingredients are perfect for filling this baked squash. It’s a very easy and fast filling to make.
Ingredients for this Baked Squash Recipe
The ingredients in this recipe are simple and easy to find at the grocery store or Farmer’s Market.
Wholesome ingredient make this delicious meatless dish a perfect celebration of flavor.
- Spaghetti squash
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Marinated mini mozzarella balls
- fresh Basil
- Balsamic Vinegar
How to Cut and Prepare a Spaghetti Squash
To prepare a spaghetti squash for baking:
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise using a large, sharp knife.
- Using a large spoon scoop out the seeds and loose fibers in the middle.
- Gently scrape the inside to make the cavity free of loose fibers.
PRO TIP: winter squash seeds are delicious when roasted. Use this roasted pumpkin seeds recipe for delicious squash seeds with a special trick!
How to Cook Baked Spaghetti Squash Caprese – Step by Step
For detailed printable instructions, refer to the recipe card at the end of the blog post.
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place spaghetti squash halves (squash cut side up) on a foil or parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.
Drizzle squash halves with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper (photo 1).
STEP 2. Bake
Cook spaghetti squash halves until tender (about 30 to 35 minutes).
STEP 3. Make the Balsamic Glaze
STEP 4. Combine filling ingredients
Add the tomatoes, marinated mozzarella balls, and fresh basil to a large bowl (photo 2).
Add remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
STEP 5. Fill and Bake
When spaghetti squash is tender, remove from oven and fill each squash with caprese filling (photos 3 & 4).
Return to oven and bake until mozzarella is melted, about 10 minutes.
Drizzle with balsamic glaze just before serving.
More Delicious Easy Dinner Ideas and Main Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Smoked Paprika & Garlic Chicken Legs
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Quiche Lorraine: A Classic Cheesy Bacon Quiche Recipe
- Shortcut French Cassoulet
- 25 Unique Pesto Recipes
Baked Spaghetti Squash Caprese
- 2 medium Spaghetti squash cut in half and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil divided
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt divided
- 1 ¼ teaspoon ground Black Pepper divided
- 2 cups Cherry tomatoes (heirloom variety if available) quartered
- 1 cup Marinated mini mozzarella balls
- ¼ cup fresh Basil thinly sliced
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Baking the Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 1 large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place spaghetti squash halves on baking sheet cut side up.
- Drizzle squash halves with 2 tablespoons of olive oil then sprinkle halves evenly with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Bake squash halves until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Making the Balsamic Glaze
- While the squash is baking: Add the balsamic vinegar to a small non-reactive saucepan on the stove top over medium-low heat. Allow the vinegar to come to a simmer, stirring periodically.
- Continue to cook the vinegar until it thickens and become syrupy (approximately 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat to allow it to cool. NOTE: it will continue to thicken as it cools.
Making the Caprese Filling (made while squash is baking)
- Add sliced tomatoes, marinated mozzarella balls, and fresh basil to a large bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Finishing the Baked Spaghetti Squash
- When spaghetti squash is tender, remove from oven and fill with each squash with caprese filling.
- Return to oven and bake until mozzarella is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze just before serving.
This easy, wholesome Baked Spaghetti Squash recipe is one you’ll crave for dinner after just one taste!