Cherry Chocolate Chip Pie

I’m hoping this finds you relaxed having had a wonderful long Memorial Day weekend.  It was the first grill out for my family.  Despite liking meat I actually don’t eat a lot of it but have to say there is nothing like a freshly grilled burger outdoors.
This weekend was the perfect opportunity for me to try out another vintage pie recipe I’d found some time ago.  Whenever I come into a batch of vintage recipes I tend to go through all of them looking for recipes that are unique, translate to modern times for the ingredients, use whole ingredients (no Jell-O or cans of soup) and frankly are not overly complex.  I love food and sophisticated food but I rarely have the time to labor over recipes with extensive ingredient lists but still want a pleasing end result.
This recipe for Chocolate Chip Pie caught my attention.  The advertisement of a ‘summer dessert’ placed in my ‘to try’ pile with the past weekend seeming a perfect time for it.  I always make vintage recipes verbatim the first time.  I will say this is the first time that the crust recipe totally tanked from the original recipe.  When I pulled it out of the oven it had converted from the formed pie crust I inserted into the oven to a bubbling, buttery mess.  I had decided I wanted to freeze the pie similar to a GrasshopperPie I make so I created a crust recipe that was more friendly to that method and it turned out great.
When purchasing the chocolate for the pie I found the variations of chocolate irresistible and decided instead of the original bitter chocolate to use Dark Chocolate with Cherries from local (and nationally distributed) Choco-love.  It seemed a great kick off to summer.
CHERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP PIE
This recipe really makes a chiffon pie.  I wanted to freeze it which I did.  When sitting out for some time it did thaw and offered a perfect chiffon pie consistency.  The original recipe suggests refrigerating for several hours.  I almost think freezing and letting it thaw you if you don’t prefer a frozen pie is the better way to go.  Feel free to swap out the chocolate for any chocolate that strikes your fancy.  I also decided at the last minute to add a few drops of all natural food coloring to give a hint at the cherry flavor visually.
Yield:  1 9-inch regular depth pie; serves 8-10
·         24 marshmallows
·         ½ cup milk
·         1 cup heavy whipping cream
·         ½ teaspoon vanilla
·         1 3.2 ounce bar Cherry Chocolate bar (or chocolate of your choice)
·         1 ½ graham cracker crumbs*
·         7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (plus a bit more UNmelted to butter the pie pan)
*I used gluten free Smoreables by Kinnikinnick to make my own crumbs.  It required about 1 package processed through the food processor to fine crumbs.
1.      Lightly grease a 9 inch regular depth (not deep dish) pie pan with butter.  Using a mixer (preferably a standing mixer with paddle attachment) combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.  Form a pie crust in the greased pan using fingers to press into a crust.  Place in the freezer to set about 10-15 minutes.
2.      In a double boiler or in a metal boil over a pan of water, combine the marshmallows and milk.  Stirring frequently allow marshmallows to fully melt and set aside.
3.      Using a free standing mixer and whisk attachment (or hand held mixer) combine the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and if desired food coloring; whip the cream.  Fold into the marshmallow mixture.  NOTE: the marshmallows and milk may have separated.  Don’t worry about that just mix it all together.
4.      Prepare the chocolate bar:  finely grate 2/5’s of the bar, finely chop 2/5’s of the bar.  Mix together and fold into pie filling smoothing the top with a spatula.
5.      Make chocolate curls with the remaining chocolate by pulling a vegetable peeler down the longest edge of the chocolate.  Garnish the pie with chocolate curls and place into the freezer until frozen.

Comments

This is a gorgeous pie and I love the the choco-cherry combo. I will have to look for choco-love bars or substitute with another flavor.

I agree Becky. When I was picking up the chocolate I just couldn't resist giving this a bit different flavor. And then a little color to go with the flavor! I hope you'll have the chance to make it yourself. It has been a big hit at my house.

Thank you! I too felt it was a bit more seasonal than regular Chocolate Chip (though I'm sure that is delicious too). My family has loved eating it frozen since it is so light in texture.

This pie is the perfect kick-off to the summer! I must say that my husband and I are trying a gluten free diet for 30 days to see if we feel over all better. We are not necessarily gluten intolerant but we are giving it a try! I'll be combing your site for good gluten-free recipes. Do you have any favorites to reccommend?

What are you in the mood for? You know all my recipes are naturally gluten free or indicate gluten free options so everything here is 'safe'. I'm certainly happy to help you; we could email about it. Sticking to whole foods is always easiest. Obviously pasta and bread-pastry-cake products would have gluten. The tricky area are sauces. Essentially it requires knowing everything in the food you eat. That is not a bad thing. I know my kids are growing up much more informed and making smarter food choices overall than I did as a kid!

Hi Emma. Thank you! The pie is well balanced actually. The marshmallows are really the only sweetner in the filling other than the chocolate since you do not add sugar to the cream when whipping it. I really can't take overly sweet desserts and this one was pretty perfect. I could not quite picture it with the original 1951 recipes 'bitter chocolate'. I bought bitter chocolate then opted for the cherry chocolate which being dark is not overly sweet either.

I know I should comment on the pie (because lets face it, it's awesome!) but I'm also loving the bbq pictures! The potatoes, the burgers… the lime soda! Amazing! I'm very jealous of your backyard dining!

There IS something about eating outside, is there not? I don't think I ever make burgers indoors and much more enjoy eating them outside as well. Thanks for your compliments Jeff; all the food was great.

Toni-I'm with you on the vintage recipes. I have a few of those clippings myself that I saved. Your cherry chocolate chip pie is absolutely gorgeous, amazing, and so perfect for this time, or in fact any time of the year. I have never seen a chocolate bar like that, with cherries in chocolate, which BTW I love so much…chocolate covered cherries, of course!
    Your BBQ is so inviting, and I'm totally salivating for your burger…so juicy, and delicious. I wish I could just take that out of your hand over the screen (smiles)
    I'm pinning your amazing pie, if it's OK with you!

Thank you so much for your kind words re: my poor Prince. I'm so sorry for your loss with both cats. My poor cat had a thyroid problem, and no matter how much he ate, in the last two years was just wasting away, poor baby…until he couldn't walk without collapsing, and that very day is when I had to have him put down…so sad!
    Big hugs to you my dear friend!

Thanks for all of this Elisabeth. You would love this pie based on what you said. You should check Chocolove's website. I believe they list everywhere they distribute nationally. From what I remember it is pretty extensive and you can order from their website. I use their chocolate alot in baking. Another favorite flavor for baking is dark chocolate cherries and chilies. I use it in mesquite flour muffins (with bacon).

On the cats when they get to the point they are so disabled in their own lives it really is the only choice to be kind. I hope you are feeling your new normal soon. xo

You're killing me! This looks soooo good. I wish this dairy problem of mine would just go away. Missed you at the Bitter Bar – was really hoping to finally get to meet you! Hopefully at the next meet up???

Katie! I was so disappointed to miss the event. I've been bedridden with a virust since last Saturday, only 'getting vertical' from minutes a day. I keep waiting for it to move along but I've been really flattened sadly. Sickest I've been in years…..(I really should have invited you to this pity party, sorry!). I heard it was great and I plan on coming to the upcoming planned events so hopefully we'll meet then!

Sorry to taunt you with the pie. I'm not sure there would be a true substitute here. I've seen soy whipped cream in a can but the cream is not sweeetened when it is whipped. Tune back in tomorrow. A selection of dairy-free booze for summer!

I want to move next door to you. Seriously, this is beyond gorgeous. I can't stop staring at it. I'll be dreaming about it tonight.