Memorial Day kicks off a season full of food favorites doesn’t it? Best grilling recipes come out of hibernation to move families into dining al fresco. The deck or porch become another room in the house often used for daily dining for us. The sweltering heat of summer calls for innovative desserts that flaunt big flavor but aren’t too heavy either. Today’s recipe for Cherry Chocolate Chip Pie delivers everything a summer dessert should. It’s a light, creamy, frozen pie that cools the heat with fabulous flavors of cherry and chocolate in a graham cracker crust. Easy to put together and even better to eat!
I originally tried this pie after finding the recipe in a batch of vintage recipes I’d purchased at a thrift store. Whenever I come into a batch of vintage recipes I tend to go through all of them looking for recipes that are unique, translate to modern times for the ingredients, use whole ingredients (no Jell-O or cans of soup) and frankly are not overly complex. I love food and sophisticated food but I rarely have the time to labor over recipes with extensive ingredient lists but still want a pleasing end result.
This recipe for Chocolate Chip Pie caught my attention. The advertisement of a ‘summer dessert’ placed in my ‘to try’ pile especially with summer right around the corner. I always make vintage recipes verbatim the first time. I will say this is the first time that the crust recipe totally tanked from the original recipe. When I pulled it out of the oven it had converted from the formed pie crust I inserted into the oven to a bubbling, buttery mess. I had decided I wanted to freeze the pie similar to a Grasshopper Pie I make so I created a crust recipe that was more friendly to that method and it turned out great.
When purchasing the chocolate for the pie I found the variations of chocolate irresistible and decided instead of the original bitter chocolate to use Dark Chocolate with Cherries from local (and nationally distributed) Choco-love. It seemed a great kick off to summer. As noted in the recipe other chocolate certainly can be substituted both to suit your palate and as is convenient in your area.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Pie
- 24 Marshmallows
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 3.2 ounce bar Cherry Chocolate bar (or chocolate of your choice)
- 1 ½ Graham Cracker Crumbs (I used gluten free Smoreables by Kinnikinnick to make my own crumbs. It required about 1 package processed through the food processor to fine crumbs.
- 7 tablespoons Unsalted Butter , melted; plus a bit more unmelted to butter the pie pan
- Lightly grease a 9 inch regular depth (not deep dish) pie pan with butter. Using a mixer (preferably a standing mixer with paddle attachment) combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Form a pie crust in the greased pan using fingers to press into a crust. Place in the freezer to set about 10-15 minutes.
- In a double boiler or in a metal boil over a pan of water, combine the marshmallows and milk. Stirring frequently allow marshmallows to fully melt and set aside.
- Using a free standing mixer and whisk attachment (or hand held mixer) combine the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and if desired food coloring; whip the cream. Fold into the marshmallow mixture. NOTE: the marshmallows and milk may have separated. Don’t worry about that just mix it all together.
Preparing the Chocolate:
- finely grate 2/5’s of the bar, finely chop 2/5’s of the bar. Mix together and fold into pie filling smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Make chocolate curls with the remaining chocolate by pulling a vegetable peeler down the longest edge of the chocolate.
- Garnish the pie with chocolate curls and place into the freezer until frozen.
Recipe Notes*I used gluten free Smoreables by Kinnikinnick to make my own crumbs. It required about 1 package processed through the food processor to fine crumbs.