‘Forgotten Cookies’ and Glogg (Scandanavian Mulled Wine)

This month’s Vintage Recipe Redo and Swap marks a change to a new recipe book.  It was a year ago this month that Christianna (writer of Burwell General Store) contacted me to be the second swapper in this project.  We’ve covered a lot of ground in the past year (you can check out our recipe journey in the Recipe tab on my blog).  Once again Christianna found a great vintage recipe book, The Second Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places.  Written in 1954 it features recipes from famous restaurants at the time.  I’m excited to see where it takes us!

Our task is to redo an assigned recipe by changing at least three things and staying true to the intent of the recipe as we see it.  This month our recipe is one having a strong foundational foothold in American cookie culture, The Tollhouse Cookie.  Sound familiar?  Most of us assume it was a recipe conceived by the chocolate chip maker I’m sure.

This is a cookie kinda month in my book.  I personally have scaled back to focus my baking on preparing for Santa.  I do not spend the entire month baking and gorging on sweets for fear of a sucrose coma or worse yet ‘going postal’ from sugar poisoning.  I have had my eye on a recipe from my Grandmother’s recipe box and this occasion seemed the right time to break it out.  Forgotten Cookies.  With a name like that who could pass up baking it in this month filled with sentimental mood and generous heart toward anyone or anything needing some love.
I remember these cookies from when I was a child.  My Grandmother was not a mad baker but managed to deliver whenever we visited.  It’s funny to think about that now.  Do Grandmother’s still bake cookies in anticipation for visits from their Grandkids?  A very civilized hospitality if you ask me.  Grandmother’s now are probably too busy taking Zumba classes, playing mahjong and growing micro greens for their smoothies I suppose.
This cookie is basically a lovely meringue cookie but with more substance in its ‘bite’ due to the chocolate chips and nuts.  As implied, you mix it up, put it in the oven and forget it until the next morning.
FORGOTTEN COOKIES
These cookies are beautiful, glossy batter when put on the cookie sheets and emerge in the morning with a matte meringue finish.  They expand a bit overnight.  If you wanted the recipe to yield more, use a small dining spoon.
Yield:  Aproximately 2 dozen
·         2 egg whites
·         2/3 cups sugar
·         Pinch of salt
·         1 teaspoon vanilla
·         1 cup pecans, chopped
·         1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.      Beat egg whites until foamy, approximately 3 minutes.
3.      Slowly add sugar while beating egg whites until stiff.
4.      Stir in salt, vanilla, pecans and chocolate chips.   Drop onto ungreased tin foil by the spoonful (I used a larger dining spoon).  Note:  I followed the original recipe to the letter though put the foil on a baking tray for support.  I think they could be put directly on a cookie sheet as well.
5.      Turn off the oven.  Place cookies in the oven and leave until morning.

Needing a liquid partner for my cookie it seemed timely to make up a batch of Glögg, a Scandinavian mulled wine.  I’d love to share a deep, meaningful J. Peterman’esque story about how I discovered this after tracking Polar Bears in the wild in my midnight blue velvet jodhpurs and faux Manx hat stopping at a bar in Oslo en route back to civilization before departing on safari in Inner Mongolia.  That of course would be a lie.
I do bear Norwegian heritage on my father’s side though this recipe has been in my family for a few decades thanks to Sunset magazine in the 1970’s.  That’s all.  And it warms one’s innards and spirits at this time of year!
GLOGG
The original recipe suggests three wine varietals.  I used and old vine Zinfandel that was divine.  I will say I was unclear on the role of the almonds.  Once having soaked in the mulled wine they are soft and fantastic adding a very unique element to the drink.  Also save the raisins and find something to do with them (Ice cream?  Bread?  Pie?  Souped up oatmeal?); they are delicious.
·         1 small orange
·         ½ cup sugar
·         ½ cup raisins
·         2 teaspoons whole cloves
·         2 cinnamon sticks, each 2 to 3 inches long
·         1 bottle red wine (Burgundy, Zinfandel or Gamay)
·         ½ cup whole blanched almonds
1.       Cut the peel from orange making one long thin strip.  Squeeze juice from orange and place both peel and juice in a 2 quart saucepan.
2.      Add sugar, raisins, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and wine.  Heat over moderate heat until hot but not boiling.  Allow to simmer 10-15 minutes, strain and serve in mugs with a few blanched almonds in each mug.
Gift idea:  Combine dry ingredients in a jar or decorative bag, place in a basket with a bottle of suggested wine varietal, an orange and blanched almonds for a ‘make it at home’ gift kit.

Comments

Hi Toni, I am all for making things as easy as possible and these sound just amazing! They look so festive too – just the thing to pull out on Christmas day! x

Beautiful post! It brought back sweet memories. My grandmother used to make forgotten cookies and I, too, have a typed recipe card with her recipe. It's identical except for the fact she used brown paper instead of foil. As lovely as your beverage looks I can only drink coffee with mine – just like Grandma did. =D

My mom always found time to bake cookies for her grandkids, even with Zuma and Mahjongg and her garden (no Zumba, though:)
    More than 10 years ago I received my grandmother's hand-written recipe notebook and I imported all the recipes into my computer. And I tossed the notebook. I can kick myself so hard for it! But I can't go back:(
    She made similar cookies, but without chocolate – they were my sister's favorite. I love how white yours are – mine always get a little tan:)
    And glogg I love! When we lived in Ohio I used to make mulled wine all the time, believing with all my heart when French say that if you drink it (with all the additions), you don't need aspirin:)
    I had to chuckle at your gift idea – I did exactly that our last year in Ohio – wine, spices, orange, card with a recipe, and delivered several gifts right at the doorstep of my friends and neighbors on Christmas Eve morning:)
    Cheers!

4. Mary says

Oh, I love this story. My grandmothers always had treats for us. One of them baked and cooked like a pro and the other provided Little Debbie treats to our hearts content. Both of them made for wonderful memories.

I've never seen chocolate chips in forgotten cookies. I bet that would make them even more delicious.

5. CS says

I am so utterly charmed by both of these recipes, but especially the forgotten cookies. How they look, how they imagine they must taste, and the way you make them! Never heard of them. Am likely to try them over Christmas with friends. I especially love the photo of the original recipe card with the stains .. just like all of ours also look!

You are so lucky to have your grandmother's recipe box and this is just the perfect recipe for this time around! Such an interesting cookie recipe and the mulled wine looks fabulous!

7. Anonymous says

My cookies are in the oven, I am looking forward to trying one with my morning cup of tea. Thank you for sharing!

I love a meringue cookie of any kind, but one that has chocolate chips and pecans? Well, that's taking it to a 'nother level entirely. I'm also digging the Glogg. Actually, I kinda just like saying the word “glogg”. Now I know what I'm doing with that bottle of wine in the fridge… I'm gloggin'!

9. The Cozy Herbivore says

Words cannot express how much I love the combination of egg whites and sugar. These cookies look DIVINE! And what a great pairing the Glogg is! Your blog is absolutely lovely, so nice to participate in the swap with you!

10. Diana @ Brooklyn Galley says

Aren't vintage recipes the best? I recently made Toll House peanut butter cookies from the restaurant's 1940s cookbook for my blog and they came out outstanding. You're right that many people assume the chocolate chip cookie recipe came from Nestle, when it fact it was the Toll House restaurant owner. And she apparently had a lot more recipes that became classics, like the Toll House Onion Soup. Keep on cooking from vintage recipes!

We used to have the Forgotten Cookies at Christmas but we called them Santa Kisses and we put a couple of drops of red or green food coloring in them to make them festive. Delicious!

12. Beth MacDonald says

I remember having these at my nana’s when I was a small girl . They never had chocolate though . I remember them having pecans and tiny bits of green & red candied cherries . I loved these ! going to give your way a go & my nana’s as well .

Toni, my grandmother used to make Forgotten Cookies (with walnuts instead of pecans) every Christmas for all 15 or so of us grandkids. I just made some last week for my own little party. So nice to see they aren’t completely forgotten!

Putting cocktail recipes together for my Cookies and Cocktails party this weekend and was psyched to google “mulled wine” and “Boulder Locavore” to find THIS again! This is now on the list for Saturday. Big hug from NYC darling! I was actually in Denver last week and next time need to plan better and make a trip to Boulder to meet you in person! xoxo

Jesskat I’ve only made this recipe as my Grandmother did. Because of the light nature of meringue the cookies are not overly sweet. I have not personally seen meringue cookie recipes made with alternative sweeteners but I’m sure if you Google them you may find a similar non-sugar recipe.

1. Slinking Toward Retirement | Mulled Wine Is The Most Soul-Warmingly Delicious Drink Ever | News, Travel, Opinion and Just Odd and Funny Things... says:

[...] But it probably tastes better homemade. [...]