There is nothing better in fall than homemade pumpkin bread. This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread recipe delivers that and so much more! With melty chocolate chips, warm spices and a tangy cream cheese layer in the middle this will become a quick favorite of fall’s pumpkin recipes!
If you love a dense quick bread recipe that’s moist and full of pumpkin flavor this easy pumpkin bread recipe is for you! It’s a perfect fall treat and so easy to make. It has just the right amount of sweetness for a dessert bread or an afternoon snack.
Chocolate chip pumpkin bread is a family favorite. The moist bread has just the right amount of pumpkin, a swirl of cheesecake flavor and chocolate chips in every bite. It’s a delicious recipe perfect for entertaining or for the holiday season.
Unlike our Best Pumpkin Bread with cream cheese frosting, we added the cream cheese cheesecake filling to the middle of this moist pumpkin bread. No one will know until the loaf is cut and a slice of pumpkin bread is served! It’s a great way to celebrate pumpkin season.
If you love this flavor combination try our Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies too!
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Unsalted Butter. Use softened or room temperature butter. You’ll need 1/4 cup.
Pumpkin puree. Be sure to use 100% pumpkin (canned) or pumpkin puree; not pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin pie mix.
Cream cheese. Use room temperature or softened cream cheese for best results. This will be for the filling layer.
All purpose flour. Regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend can be used. For gluten-free baking we personally use (and recommend) Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour.
Eggs. Start with room temperature eggs. You’ll use 2 large size eggs for the pumpkin bread and one for the cream cheese filling layer.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips. These are the type of chocolate chips traditionally used for cookies or quick breads (like our banana chocolate chip bread). They have a perfect chocolate flavor without being too sweet.
How to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or foil leaving some overhanging the long pan side for easy removal after baking. Spray the lining with a non-stick cooking spray (photo 1).
STEP 2. Make cream cheese filling
In a small bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the egg, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and flour until well combined (photo 2). Set aside.
STEP 3. Make the batter
In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and butter until light and fluffy (photo 3). Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree; mix until well combined (photo 4). Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon (photo 5).
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (photo 6), alternating with the buttermilk, and mixing in between each addition (photo 7).
Fold in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips (leaving the rest to top the bread after assembly) (photo 8).
Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan, spread to the edges (photo 9). Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the top (photo 10). Pour the remaining batter over the top and spread to the edges (photo 11-12). Top the bread with the remaining chocolate chips (photo 13).
STEP 4. Bake & Cool
Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (photo 14).
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove using the overhang from the foil/parchment paper and move to a cooling wire rack (photo 15).
Cut once cooled (photo 16).
Use pumpkin pie spice. If you want a full fall spice flavor use pumpkin pie spice instead of ground cinnamon.
Use mini chocolate chips. Substituting mini chocolate chips will distribute more chocolate chips throughout the pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Smaller amounts but more of it!
Leave out the chocolate chips. This bread is delicious even without the chocolate chips. The fall flavors and cream cheese layer make it delicious either way.
Use room temperature eggs and cream cheese. For the filling, it’s important to make sure the egg is at room temperature and the cream cheese is softened at room temperature. If that doesn’t happen, then the mixture will come together with a cottage cheese like texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
We love using homemade pumpkin puree however it tends to be more watery than canned pure pumpkin. For this bread we recommend using canned puree.
Because of the cream cheese layer we don’t recommend freezing. Dairy products, cream cheese included, often have a texture change after being frozen and thawed. We feel the best results are enjoying this bread when freshly made.
How to Store
Store in airtight container or tightly sealed in plastic wrap in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
More recipes you’ll love!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup 100% pumpkin (canned) do not use pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin pie mix
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan by lining the pan with parchment paper or foil leaving some overhanging the long sides of the pan for easier removal. Spray the lining with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling:
- In a small bowl, using a hand mixer, mix the egg, cream cheese, sugar, and flour until well combined. Set aside.
Make the filling
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and pumpkin; mix until well combined. Set aside.
Make the batter
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, and mix in between each addition.
- Fold in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips (leaving the rest to top the bread after assembly).
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan, spread to the edges. Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the top. Pour the remaining batter over the top and spread to the edges. Top the bread with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove using the overhang from the foil/parchment paper and move to a cooling rack. Cut once cooled. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Swap in pumpkin pie spice instead of ground cinnamon.
- Mini chocolate chips can be used instead of full size chocolate chips.
- Omit the chocolate chips and the bread is still delicious!