Lime Cheesecake is creamy, tangy, fast and easy when made in the Instant Pot. It cooks in 30 minutes and cools in 2 hours! No cracking as with baked cheesecake. Also included are my tried-and-tested TIPS for making the BEST Instant Pot Cheesecake!
I have had a secret desire with my Instant Pot that has remained unfulfilled until now: I wanted to make an Instant Pot Cheesecake. I’ve been a cheesecake fiend since I was a child and though I don’t eat it often, I loved the idea of being able to make it in the Instant Pot more quickly than traditional recipes.
I noticed recipes on Pinterest for cheesecake made in the Instant Pot but never paid much mind to them. After reviewing the ‘I Love My Instant Pot’ Recipe Book last year my interest was piqued again reading the dessert recipe section.
I was so excited to make an Instant Pot Lime Cheesecake which seemed the perfect confection to take the edge of our bitterly cold winter weather. It is very easy to make and without the fussy steps of cracking the oven and several exotic steps of cooling to prevent the dreaded cracking of the top surface.
TIPS for Making the BEST Instant Pot Cheesecake
I did a lot of research and made this cheesecake multiple times to try out some techniques to create the best Instant Pot cheesecake. Here are the key tips I found to work well:
- Ensure the cream cheese and eggs are at room temperature. The cream cheese can be taken out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before making the recipe OR softened in the microwave on the soften function. This ensures a creamy lump-free batter.
- When adding the eggs, add them one at a time and don’t overmix the batter afterwards to avoid mixing in more air. This will bubble up when the cheesecake cooks making a bumpy surface and potential air pockets in the cheesecake.
- Once the cheesecake is ready to be put in the Instant Pot, tap the bottom on the countertop multiple times to release any air bubbles. This will keep the consistency creamy, hole-free and make the top smoother.
- Adding a paper towel on top of the cheesecake lightly secured with a piece of foil helps limit condensation forming on the top of the cheesecake which makes it bumpy. When removing the cheesecake after cooking, dab up any water that is on top of the FOIL with a paper towel to avoid it dripping onto the top of the cheesecake when it is removed.
- Create a homemade FOIL SLING to lower the cheesecake into the Instant Pot insert and more importantly, to easily lift it out more safely after cooking (the steam can burn). Instructions in the recipe instructions.
- If there is condensation on the top of the cheesecake itself after cooking, lightly dab up the water with a paper towel. Even when using Tip #4, some condensation will be present on the surface of the cheesecake.
- When putting the cheesecake in the refrigerator to fully cool (after cooling briefly at room temperature), if covering it with plastic wrap (or foil) or in a container leave the covering or lid ajar to allow condensation to escape.
Gluten-Free vs. Gluten Vanilla Wafer Crust
The key difference when making recipes that are gluten-free vs gluten using cookie crumbs is the absorbency. Gluten-free crumbs are less absorbent so using more of the crumbs to the amount of melted butter in making the crust is necessary.
Because I’m gluten-free I must adapt to a gluten recipe for those using regular cookie crumbs! Gluten vanilla wafers are also larger than most gluten-free counterparts so fewer are suggested for the same amount of melted butter. Make sense? It’s all in the recipe instructions.
How to Make Instant Pot Lime Cheesecake – Step by Step:
Before making lime cheesecake in the Instant Pot a 7-inch springform pan is needed. I bought one from Amazon specifically for the Instant Pot that has a glass bottom and soft silicon sides and it worked great. Any springform pan the correct size should be fine.
The vanilla wafers are pulsed in a mini chopper or food processer into crumbs. The melted butter is drizzled in to create a moist sand-like consistency. The crumbs are added to the springform pan, which as been buttered/greased, and pressed into a crust. A piece of foil is wrapped around the bottom and sides (exterior) to seal.
In a food processor the softened cream cheese, sour cream and sugar are pulsed to a smooth consistency (a mixer can also be used). Eggs, lime juice, lime zest, vanilla extract are slowly added to the mixture and blended in. The filling is poured into the prepared pan.
Water is poured into the Instant Pot insert, the trivet placed in the bottom and the cheesecake on top of the trivet. It is cooked on high pressure, manual setting for 30 minutes, allowed to cool for 10 minutes then chilled for 2 hours until fully set.
Difference between traditional Cheesecake and Instant Pot Cheesecake
The Instant Pot lime cheesecake is smaller than most traditional cheesecakes being limited by the internal dimensions of the Instant Pot. It does not crack as is possible with traditionally baked cheesecakes.
TIP: Both cheesecakes can have air bubbles rise during cooking leaving the top surface not completely smooth. If you follow my suggested Best Tips and still find the surface isn’t smooth, add a layer of whipped cream to the top.
Does the Instant Pot Cheesecake Taste Different than Traditional Baked Cheesecake?
No! It’s creamy and tangy with the flavor of lime. I was relieve the Instant Pot version is smaller as my will power was tested after the first irresistible bite!
Mind-Blowing Instant Pot Tips You Need to Know!
After developing Instant Pot recipes for the past few years, I’ve uncovered some unexpected, useful tips I think you’ll want to know!
Sign-Up below and I’ll tell you all my Instant Pot secrets!
More Easy Instant Pot You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats with Gingerbread Spices
- How to Make Perfect Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Jambalaya: Quick & Easy Comfort Food
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Lime Cheesecake or any other recipe on BoulderLocavore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m up to!