Fresh Savory Tomato Pie has long been my favorite pie of summer. It’s indescribably good, even winning over the most dedicated tomato-haters! A combination of fresh, flavorful summer tomatoes are combined with fresh basil and mouthwatering cheeses, baked to a crisp finish with a garlic and breadcrumb topping. Prepared crusts may be used to make it even easier!
Fresh Savory Tomato Pie
- Prepared Pie Crust recipe for an 8 inch to 9 inch pie crust (or purchased pie crust)*
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper , freshly ground
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh Basil Leaves
- 4 medium ripe Tomatoes , cored, cut in half and sliced
- 1 cup Yellow Cherry Tomatoes , cut in half**
- 1 cup Red Cherry Tomatoes , cut in half**
- 1 cup fine Bread Crumbs (I used Ian's Gluten-Free Panko Crumbs)***
- ½ cup coarsely grated fresh Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup coarsely grated Pecorino or Asiago cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line an 8 inch or 9 inch pie pan with pie crust OR take the lazy-girl route like me and use a purchased pie crust (see below). If you are gluten free, adapt the crust type to your needs.
- Prick the crust all over with a fork and bake until lightly browned (8-12 minutes; check frequently after 8 minutes so it does not brown too much). Remove the crust and set aside. Leave the oven on.
- While the pie crust is cooking, place all the tomatoes in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, garlic and basil. Sprinkle over tomatoes, gently stir to incorporate with the tomatoes and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the cheeses and bread crumbs. Toss to fully combine.
- Sprinkle a light layer of the bread crumb-cheese mixture in the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Using a slotted spoon, add a layer of the tomatoes on top of the bread crumbs and cheese. Continue layering in this way, ending with a sprinkling of the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake until warmed through, about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.