Easter Rice Krispie Treats are festive, fun to make and FAST! And you’ll never guess what gives them their happy colors!
With Easter just a hop away this sweet treat is festive as well as fast and easy to make!
These Easter Rice Krispie Treats are bright and bold. They are colored with …….wait for it…..Marshmallow Peeps!
Whether you love Marshmallow Peeps or hate them (people tend to be in one camp or the other), I feel sure you’ll love these sweet treats and will have a blast making them.
They are a sweet treat, no doubt, though adding the mini marshmallows actually lessens the sweetness intensity from the Marshmallow Peeps themselves.
What’s in these Easter Rice Krispie Treats?
These are very easy to make with just a handful of ingredients:
- Unsalted Butter
- Marshmallow Peeps Bunnies or Chicks
- Rice Krispies cereal (or equivalent brand)
- Mini Marshmallows
Optional ingredients include:
- Candy Melts or chocolate for decorating
- Food Coloring if desiring to make the color even more intense
Marshmallow Peeps: How Many and What Type to Use?
Any color or shape of Marshmallow Peeps will work.
The color of the Marshmallow Peeps used will determine the color of the Easter Rice Krispie Treats.
Since the sizing of the packaging can differ, here are the specifications of what was used:
- Easter Chicks: 10 count, 3-ounce package. Use 17 of the chicks.
- Bunny Peeps: 12 count, 3.37-ounce package. Use 20 of the bunnies.
Can these Rice Krispie Treats be made Gluten-Free?
They can! Unfortunately the gluten-free version of Rice Krispies cereal was discontinued.
Select a gluten-free version of the cereal and make them gluten-free!
- Quickly even out the treat mixture when putting it in the pan because it will harden quickly.
- If you want to keep the mini marshmallows from melting completely to add some extra to the mix when stirring it together at the end before adding to the pan.
- If using a lollipop stick, and the Rice Krispie treats begin to droop, place them in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes before decorating.
If making the shaped version on a stick these will be helpful:
How to Make Easter Rice Krispie Treats – Step by Step:
- Line 9-inch by 13-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and peeps, stirring continuously (photo 1 & 2). (Optional 1-2 drops of food coloring may be added for more vibrant color).
- Remove pan from heat; pour in Rice Krispies cereal (photo 3) and mini marshmallows (photo 4). Stir until just combined.
- Quickly spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and even out with a spoon. NOTE: the mixture thickens quickly making it harder to even out. (photo 5)
- Refrigerate the pan for 15 minutes.
- Cut Rice Krispie treats into squares or shapes with cookie cutters (photo 6).
- Insert lollipop sticks if desired (photo 7). Decorate with melted candy or chocolate and sprinkles or eat as is.(photo 8)
Cutting & Decorating Easter Rice Krispie Treats
There are many options for finishing and cutting the Easter Rice Krispie Treats.
- They can be cut into squares and eaten undecorated.
- Cut them into squares AND move ahead to decorate them as described.
- Using Easter-themed cookie cutters, cut out the treats, and:
- Eat as is
- Decorate and eat
- Decorate, insert a lollipop stick and eat
- Decorating the Easter Rice Krispie Treats
Place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes after decorating before serving.
Using colorful candy melts or chocolate drizzled over the treats to look like Easter eggs or bunnies makes a festive end result.
Before the melted candy or chocolate hardens, decorate with festive sprinkles and allow the melted candy to harden before serving.
These supplies are available in any store with a baking section (grocery or craft stores), and online.
Storing Easter Rice Krispie Treats
Store in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days. Separate them in layers divided by wax paper.
They can also be refrigerated however can become less chewy and harder to eat when chilled.
Freezing the Rice Krispie Treats:
- Pack in an airtight container separated by wax paper.
- Freeze for up to 6 weeks.
- Allow to thaw for 15 minutes before serving.
Note: they can be decorated after thawing if desired.
More Fun Easter Dessert Recipes
- Easter Cake with a Surprise Inside (a box mix hack)
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes for Easter
- Easter Muddy Buddies Recipe: an Easy Sweet Treat for Spring
Easter Rice Krispie Treats
These cute, festive Rice Krispie treats are made with the well-known marshmallow Peeps for color and flavor. They are quick and fun to make.
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Unsalted Butter
- 20 Peeps Rabbits or 17 Peeps Chicks see notes below1 ¾ packs of peep candies- can be either the rabbits or the birds (Is that what they are??)
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal or equivalent
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- Candy melts optional
- Sprinkles optional
- Food coloring optional
Other optional materials:
- Candy sticks to place treats on
- Cookie cutters
- Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and peeps, stirring continuously. Optional: 1-2 drops of food coloring may be added for more vibrant color.
Remove pan from heat; pour in Rice Krispies cereal and mini marshmallows. Stir until just combined.
- Quickly spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and even out with a spoon. NOTE: the mixture thickens quickly making it harder to even out.
Refrigerate the pan for 15 minutes.
- Cut Rice Krispie treats into squares or shapes with cookie cutters. Decorate with melted candy or chocolate and sprinkles or eat as is.
Easter Chicks: 10 count, 3-ounce package. Use 17 of the chicks.
Bunny Peeps: 12 count, 3.37-ounce package. Use 20 of the bunnies.