Dressing delivers the WOW factor to any salad and Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing does just that. Cool and tangy with flavors of buttermilk, sour cream, onion, fresh garlic and fresh herbs! 10 minutes max to make it!
Ranch dressing is definitely a crowd pleaser.
Whether on a salad or as a dip, it ranks up as a ‘most favorite dressing’.
Now you can make it at home in a flash.
A great dressing makes the difference between an ordinary salad and an unforgettable one.
With just a few minutes of your time, you can make salads that have never tasted so good!
What is Ranch Dressing?
Most Ranch Dressing fans will know it from the tangy salad dressing packets you can make at home. OR buying the premade dressing at the store.
It’s a tangy, cool dressing with buttermilk, onion, garlic, herbs and spices that perks up any salad and more.
It’s a fantastic dip for vegetables or things like hot wings.
As easy as it is to buy, making it from scratch is fast, easy and completely delicious!
- Sour cream
- fresh Dill
- Garlic cloves
- fresh Italian parsley
- Kosher Salt
- Black pepper
- Onion powder or onion salt
- Mustard powder
Homemade Buttermilk trick
I shared this trick recently in a Buttermilk Pancakes recipe. If you are out of buttermilk you can make a homemade version!
- Add 1 tablespoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice to a 1 cup liquid measuring cup.
- Fill with milk to make 1 cup total.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes to curdle and thicken.
How much Dressing does this Recipe Make?
1 3/4 cups dressing.
How to Make Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Making the dressing is so EASY!
Add everything to a medium bowl.
Whisk to fully combine.
The dressing can be used immediately but is best if allowed to chill first.
The flavors will blend together and the consistency will become thicker.
NOTE: If using for a ranch dip, chill first for the best consistency.
Can it be Made in a Blender?
It can BUT it will turn green like Green Goddess dressing. The Italian parsley will change it from white to light green.
If that’s ok with you, use a blender!
This recipe can be altered to make it suit your taste buds perfectly. Here are a few variations.
- Replace the mayonnaise and sour cream with low-fat versions if you want a lower-fat dressing.
- Use dried herbs in place of fresh ones if you’re in a rush and don’t have time for chopping. Use half as much dried herbs as you would fresh.
- Try adding different spices, such as white pepper, paprika, or celery seed. Minced shallots and chives also make a nice addition.
- Adjust the amount of mayonnaise and sour cream to your liking. Some people prefer to have a bit more sour cream for a tangier dressing.
Ranch Dip and Dressing Ideas
Besides being incredibly delicious, this dressing is great to have on hand because of its versatility. Here are a few ideas:
Dunk pizza crust or breadsticks into the ranch dip.
Spread the salad dressing on homemade pizza and then top with roasted garlic, chicken, spinach, feta, and lots of cheese.
Instead of making a salad, prepare a tray of chopped broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snap peas, and celery for dipping.
Spread on crackers and top with a slice of cheese and tomato, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
How to Store it
Store in a sealed jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love!
- Taco Salad
- Chicken Salad
- Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Strawberry Salad + fresh Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
- Hawaiian Chopped Ham Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Potato Salad recipe
Try these Recipes too!
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Tropical Smoothie Recipe
- Blondies – Classic Recipe + 3 Variations
- Triple Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST !
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Recipe
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Dill
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder or Onion Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry Mustard Powder
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
- Store refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
This is so simple and easy! Love the herbs and garlic in it too! So tasty!
I just saved this recipe. Flavors are amazing. And texture is perfect. I can’t wait to give this dressing a try.
katerina @ diethood.com says
YUM!! My favorite salad dressing!! This looks incredibly delicious!
Who doesn’t love ranch dressing! The best! Yum!
Gervin Khan says
Ranch dressing is one of my favorite and I am glad that I now know how to make it, thank you!
wow! It’s so easy to make ranch dressing at home and I love it so much! I will definitely try your recipe next time!
I literally just bought this today! I bet homemade would have been better. I never knew how simple this is!
My husband and I love buttermilk ranch dressing. It’s probably our favorite too. I never really thought about making it before. I definitely want to try this now.
My kids LOVE ranch and I keep telling them that we are going to make our own. Can’t wait to try this recipe!
This looks perfect for me! I love ranch but I hate all the preservatives and stuff in bottled dressing. Thanks for the recipe!