Fresh Peach Margarita and Fresh Peach Spritzer (non-alcoholic)

The idea for the cocktail came through unexpected means.  I had finished taking photographs of the Grilled Peach and Corn Salsa I posted last week.  I had a slew of things to return to the kitchen from my photo set so called my kids in to help me schlep.  They had not tasted the salsa yet so I let them go at it when my 9 year old declared ‘now all you need is a margarita!’
I have no idea why that popped to mind for him.  I don’t swill Margies every time I have salsa.   I do not drink cocktails daily, in the middle of the day potentially signaling him that it was ‘cocktail time for Mommy’.  He does not drink Margaritas that I’m aware of so the Pavlovian association was beyond me.  However my next thought WAS to come up with a Fresh Peach Margarita recipe.  So despite the circuitous path I’ll chalk it up to one’s muse working in mysterious ways and leave it at that.
I’ve never had a peach margarita but have become a fresh margarita convert this summer.  I find the simple approach which strips out the sweetness-laden extra ingredients is much more refreshing and ‘real’ tasting to me.  With Colorado peaches being in full season there are not enough things I can think to make to enjoy them.  The cocktail keeps the peach center stage and rather than masking it with other competing flavors it blends to smoothly sip like high summer!
FRESH PEACH MARGARITA
This flavorful margarita screams summer with a fresh signature leaving you wanting more!
Yield:  1 cocktail
·         1 ½ ounce silver or Blanco tequila (I prefer organic and have loved Republic of late)
·         ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
·         ½ ounce agave syrup
·         1-2 ounces of fresh Peach Puree*
·         Lime slice (garnish)
·         Ice
*To Make the Peach Puree:  Peel and pit one medium peach.  Place the peach in a blender and blend until pureed.
My ‘Econo’ Shaker.  I do have two shakers but when I’m in a hurry it is sometimes easier to do it all in a large Mason jar.

To Make the Margarita:  Place all ingredients in a shaker with ice.  Shake to fully combine.  Strain into an old fashioned/rocks glass with fresh ice.  Garnish with a lime slice.
When I returned from my weekly farm CSA pick up this week I was endowed with even more delicious peaches.  It was over 90 degrees.  I’d been running around all day and was parched.  I did not want a cocktail but was dying for something non-alcoholic with peaches.  I came up with this Fresh Peach Spritzer that I loved (as did those in my household).  It’s a great way to ‘drink your fruit’, quench your thirst, enjoy the flavors of summer and it’s healthy too!
FRESH PEACH SPRITZER (NON-ALCOHOLIC)
This drink is simple to make, refreshing and something special all at the same time!  The peaches I used were very sweet.  If the peaches you use are not sweet enough for your liking I suggest adding a dash of agave syrup to sweeten it up without altering the overall flavor profile greatly.
Yield:  I drink
·         2-3 ounces fresh Peach Puree
·         Mineral or sparkling water
·         Fresh lime wedge
In a tall or highball glass filled with ice, add peach puree and fill with mineral water.  Stir to combine.  Squeeze lime wedge into the drink and then add put it into the drink.

Comments

I'm having my neighborhood ladies over for cocktails tonight (a great thing that we do once a month or so at rotating houses in our area) and I'm serving bellinis so I can use the peaches in season. The idea of a non alcoholic spritzer is perfect for those who want an alternative! Hope your summer has been great and hope to see you this fall.

Tried the Peach Marg's last night and they were YUMMY … although if you aren't a fan of sweet cocktails, might not be your full cup of tea. The proportions Toni recommended were very good … although we were able to go lighter on the Agave since we had very ripe peaches.

On your Bellinis, be aware that peach puree seems to react/release with carbonation – i.e. no matter how carefully you combine them, you'll see a “fizz” up occur. I have seen this in previous years with champagne and saw it again last night with Soda water. Still drinkable, but more work to make the drinks and they won't be as fizzy.

Thanks Alek for the report back after your experimentation! Hope it used at least 4 of your 1,000 ripe peaches (always like to do my part to help a friend out). You make a great point I also try to stress with any recipe; it must be tasted! The peaches I had were sweet but I'm sure not as sweet as those you described so I'm glad you and your mixology side kick adapted for your needs.

I think your Bellini comment was for the commenter above who made them. The second drink I posted was non alcoholic. Since mine was combined with mineral water, the fizz was intended and part of the drink.

Thanks for commenting!

Alek, I solved the fizz problem by making a large batch in a punchbowl with plenty of room to spare. And to keep the whole thing cold, I froze a bottle of prosecco with a bunch of peach slices in it which was lovely. (And after everyone left the party I ate all the peaches – yum!)

Haha! With all those wonderful concoctions you've been posting, I'd think you were a cocktail-sipping mommy too! This sounds particularly wonderful right now to soothe my terribly inflamed throat caused by this crazy weather we're having. A dash of alcohol won't hurt, right? It's medicine, right? Helps the flu too, right?

Oh Ping, I'm so sorry to hear you are under the weather. I know when the temperatures cycle drastically I've come down with viruses too. I'd say for you 'Cocktail Mommy' suggests a shot of straight whiskey and alot of sleep! Feel better soon.