Halloween Chex Mix is perfect for a Halloween party of seasoning snacking! This salty-meets-sweet treat is a classic and an easy recipe to make. Changed up with seasonal candies, this yummy mix is a festive snack mix any time.
Homemade Chex mix is always a family favorite and great for Halloween treats for school parties. The crunchy cereal and salty pretzels are coated with a sweet buttery brown sugar glaze, baked to a crisp coating then combined with sweet chocolate candies and candy corn pumpkins.
This easy Chex Mix recipe is a favorite of party guests thanks to the perfect combination of salty and sweet flavors and favorite Halloween candies.
The Halloween mix is easy to change up too! Add more and different candies or swap some of your favorite Halloween candy into this monster munch! You can even add in some candy eyeballs. However you make it, it’s a good snack mix at this time of year. Happy Halloween!
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Unsalted butter. You’ll need 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) melted butter.
Light brown sugar. This is mixed with the butter to make a sweet, crispy coating on the cereal and pretzels. Remove any large hard lumps of sugar before mixing with the melted butter.
Chex cereal. We used Corn Chex but you can use any type of Chex or a blend of different types (rice Chex, wheat Chex etc.). The original Chex Mix used wheat Chex and corn Chex. If gluten-free be sure to select a gluten-free type.
Pretzels. Use pretzel twists (the classic type that look like a circle with two ends crossed over; not the fat stick type that have been twisted), regular or gluten-free. Smaller size pretzels work best for this Halloween Chex Mix recipe.
Candies. Use EITHER 1 cup M&M’s Reeses Pieces OR 1 cup red, orange and yellow M&Ms.
Mellowcreme Pumpkins. These are the soft candy pumpkins that are available in the fall. Brach’s is the main producer of them.
How to make Halloween Chex Mix
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat oven to 275F. Line a large large baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 2. Combine coating ingredients
In a large mixing bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk until the brown sugar is dissolved (photo 1).
Add the Chex cereal and pretzels to the candy coating; toss to coat (photo 2).
Spread the mixture into an even layer over the parchment paper (in a single layer)(photo 3).
STEP 3. Bake & Cool
Bake for 20 minutes, stirring the mixture once halfway through baking.
Remove the Chex mix from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
STEP 4. Make the Halloween Chex Mix
Break apart the baked cereal and pretzel mixture and add to a large bowl. Add the candies (M&Ms OR Reese’s Pieces), and candy pumpkins (photo 4; shown on a baking sheet not in the bowl). Mix together.
Add candy corn. You can either substitute candy corn for the candy pumpkins, add a mix of both or add them in addition depending on how sweet you want the mix to be.
Combine M&M’s and Reese’s Peices. Instead of using one or the other, combine both for more chocolate flavors.
Halloween M&Ms. Every year there seems to be a new type of seasonal M&M released. Use harvest colors or choose a Halloween blend of green, purple and orange (‘ghoulish mix‘). On Amazon they sell orange and black M&Ms too.
Add some candy eyes. These are fun add-ins especially if serving at Halloween parties. The candy eyes can be found where baking supplies are sold (craft stores, kitchen stores with a baking department, grocery stores) or online.
Serve in little treat bags. If serving at a school party or movie night during the fall season add easy Halloween snack mix to little individual treat bags.
How to Store
Transfer the Halloween Chex mix to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to one week.
More recipes you’ll love!
Halloween Chex Mix
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups chex cereal corn, rice or wheat (or a mix); regular or gluten-free
- 2 cups pretzel twists regular or gluten-free
- 1 cup red, orange, and yellow M&Ms OR Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup candy mellowcreme pumpkins
- Preheat oven to 275F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon and whisk until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Add the Chex cereal and pretzels and toss to fully coat.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the parchment paper in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring the mixture once halfway through.
- Remove the Chex mix from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Break apart the cereal-pretzel mixture once cooled and add to a large bowl. Add the candies and toss to mix together.
- Transfer the chex mix to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to five days.
- Any type of Chex cereal can be used. We used corn Chex. You can also combine different flavors of cereal.
- You can substitute other favorite seasonal candy like candy corn or Halloween colored M&Ms (green, orange and purple).
- You’ll need a very large bowl for mixing.
- Increase the brown sugar and butter to 3/4 cups each.
- Double the cereal and pretzel amounts.
- Use 2 large baking sheets for baking.
- Add one additional cup of candy (M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, candy pumpkins or candy corn).