- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pounds eggplant sliced ½ inch thick and salted (see below) then quarter the slices
- 2 large yellow onions sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper cored seeded and sliced
- 1 pound zucchini stems removed, cut into chunks
- 2 -4 tomatoes I used heirlooms from my garden, roughly chopped
- Fresh thyme and oregano used a few sprigs of each, stripped from the stem
- 8 Garlic Cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover sides of sliced eggplant with salt (heavily coated). Set aside for an hour if possible.
- Rinse the eggplant slices well to remove the salt. Pat dry with a kitchen (not paper) towel.
- Proceed with recipe preparation.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a heavy casserole dish and rotate the casserole to spread the oil.
- Add all the vegetables, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper into the casserole. Drizzle remaining two tablespoons of olive oil on the top.
- Place in the heated oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 hour. During the cooking time, stir the vegetables once or twice so they are sure to cook evenly.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve as a side dish or over rice!