The only thing better than regular chocolate chip cookies is Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies! The addition of crunchy pecans takes these favorite soft cookies to the next level! All you need is a glass of cold milk to go with them.
Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite cookie! The flavor is even better the day after making them. These wonderful cookies are soft chocolate chip cookies versus being chewy chocolate chip pecan cookies.
It’s an easy recipe with melty chocolate chips and a nice crunch from the pecans!
Recipe Ingredient Notes
All Purpose Flour. Regular or gluten-free all purpose flour can be used. For gluten-free baking we use and recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour.
Baking soda. This allows the cookies to rise and give them structure. Be sure to use fresh baking soda for best results.
Kosher salt. Kosher salt has a better flavor and is less salty tasting.
Unsalted butter. You’ll need 1/2 cup softened butter. Be sure it’s softened or room temperature before starting the recipe.
Light brown sugar. This sugar gives the cookies a homey caramel-y sweetness.
Egg. Use one large egg.
Chopped pecans. You’ll need 1/4 cup. You can also add some nuts on top of the cookies. If doing so you’ll need slightly more than 1/4 cup.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips. You’ll need 1/4 cup. As with the pecans, you can also add some chocolate chips on top of the cookies too. If doing so you’ll need slightly more than 1/4 cup.
How to make Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with a light coating of non-stick spray. Set aside.
STEP 2. Make the cookie dough
In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients: whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, using a hand electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the room temperature butter, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract; mix well.
Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in the pecans and semisweet chocolate chips.
STEP 3. Chill the dough
Cover with plastic wrap and chill the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes.
STEP 4. Scoop and Bake
Using a medium cookie scoop (1 tablespoon in volume), scoop cookie dough balls onto the sheet 2 inches apart. Optional: top each cookie with additional chips and nuts.
Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until edges are browning, and center is no longer wet.
STEP 5. Cool
Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Using different chocolate chips. If you love an intense chocolate flavor swap in dark chocolate chips instead! Milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips work too.
Toast the pecans. For a roasted nut flavor toast the pecans before adding to the recipe. Heat a dry non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pecans and stir constantly until they become fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding.
How to Store
Allow the cookies to fully cool on a wire rack before adding to an airtight container for storage. They can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
How to freeze
Add to an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can! We think the flavor is best with brown sugar or a mix of brown sugar and white sugar.
More recipes you’ll love!
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon s all-purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with a light coating of non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.1 cup + 2 tablespoon s all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla; mix well.½ cup unsalted butter, ½ cup light brown sugar, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.¼ cup chopped pecans, ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cover and chill the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 tablespoon in volume), scoop balls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Optional: top each cookie with additional chips and nuts.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are browning, and center is no longer wet. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cool rack.