The Cheeky Monkey Smoothie {Ginger, Banana, Leafy Greens}

The Cheeky Monkey Smoothie Coconut Monkey  - BoulderLocavore.com

I’m feeling a bit sheepish.  Based on the number of smoothie recipes I’ve shared in the past few weeks I’m waiting to be asked if this is still Boulder Locavore’s blog or if perhaps it’s turned into ‘Smoothies-R-Us’.  It IS still Boulder Locavore and I’m just having some impulse control issues around sharing these fantastically delicious combinations of fruits and vegetables I’ve found to make smoothies.

In my wildest dreams I would never have imagined blending up leafy greens could taste so good.  I have expected dense, ‘healthy-tasting’ drinks; the type you know are good for you but you suffer through, hoping they don’t encounter your taste buds on the way down.  You know what I’m talkin’ about, right?

The Cheeky Monkey Smoothie - BoulderLocavore.com

I mentioned in a prior post when I shared The Green Zinger Smoothie that my 10 year old son has jumped onto the green smoothie wagon and makes one every day after school.  We don’t use recipes but rather combine what strikes one’s fancy.  He starts every smoothie with fresh ginger.  He loves the flavor and probably has no awareness about how fantastic it is for one’s health especially at this time of year.

Last week he put together a smoothie that was so delicious and what I noticed was that the flavors of banana and ginger together are really good.  Not something I’d ever think to do but after drinking his combination it gave my culinary muse some inspiration that turned into this Cheeky Monkey Smoothie.  It’s not complicated but rich with banana, ginger, some pineapple and kale.  I’ve decided kale is the perfect leafy green for smoothies in that it produces a fantastic green color, delivers a rich variety of vitamins and minerals, and is very mild (I might even say nondescript) in flavor.  Adding ‘super greens’ power packs this smoothie with even more health benefits but doesn’t overpower the rest of the ingredients in terms of flavor.  When using super greens, using the baby variety of the green is dense with nutrition, softer to blend and doesn’t include some of the more bitter flavors that can be present when the individual variety of greens are older.

The Cheeky Monkey Smoothie

Yield: 1 smoothie

This zippy tropical green smoothie combines banana, pineapple, super greens and ginger for a delicious, healthy kick!

Ingredients

• Juice of ½ Lime
  • 1 medium Banana
  • 1 teaspoon fresh Ginger, peeled and rough chopped
  • 3 medium Kale leaves (without stem), torn into pieces
  • ½ cup fresh Pineapple, rough chopped
  • 1 cup ‘Super Greens’ (these can be purchased in the salad area already prepared or mixed at home by combining baby red chard, baby tat soi, baby spinach, baby green Swiss chard, and/or baby arugula)
  • ½ cup filtered Water

Instructions

1. Place water in a blender followed by the other ingredients. Blend until smooth.

The Cheeky Monkey Smoothie Coconut Monkey  - BoulderLocavore.com

Comments

The only thing I love more than this delicious and nutritious green smoothie is its title. Cheeky Monkey me, this thing is amazing! I could definitely use a smoothies-r-us in order to keep on track with this whole resolution thing…I’m slowly slip sliding off resolution wagon, and could definitely use a cheeky monkey to keep me on board!

My trick Julia is I never declare anything to myself as a resolution. My personality is not one who adheres well to routine anyway but a resolution feels like I’ve put myself in jail. I am finding myself feeling the inkling of routine in making a smoothie every morning but the variety and spontaneity saves me from ‘quitting’!

Erin who thought a blender could incite such fascination, right? I’m in the same boat and discovering combinations of flavors that either I would not have thought of together or that taste completely different in this form. I’m liking doing them without any milks too. Really lets the flavors shine.

Thanks Viviane! I’m really loving the mad science aspect of experimenting with these smoothie combinations and simply love this one due to the banana and ginger flavors!

I’m learning smoothies can be a delicate matter. My vegetable eater cannot get beyond the green color or the texture where my non-vegie eater is over the moon and constantly comments, starry-eyed, about the gorgeous green hue. Go figure. Kale really has little taste. You can put too much spinach in a smoothie; meaning, you can taste it after a certain amount. If you want to try one I’d go for something like this where the greens are mild and she’ll recognize the fruit flavors.

Well the name says it all! I just love it! Cheeky Monkey is something that might convince my daughter to go green with her smoothies :) Love the ginger, it really is so soothing.

Toni, I adored this from the moment I saw it on G+ yesterday. So in coming back today for a closer look, I smiled to learn your son is the mastermind behind this having been inspired by one of yours. Yes, there are several green ingredients one hopes won’t mingle with taste buds going down the hatch, but baby kale seems to be the exception. Lovely post!

Happy New Year Brooks! So glad you hopped by. My son has actually come up with combinations I’d never expect; I’m sure the mad science part of the process appeals to him! This smoothie is delicious and I think I never would have realized how great banana and fresh ginger are together without it!