Summer Fruit Sangria

A number of years ago I ran across a recipe for Plum Sangria in a magazine.  The idea of it sounded so delicious and for me that was all about the plums.  I never made that recipe but the memory of it served as my inspiration for this recipe.  All the stone fruits in season right now feel the perfect combination to serve up a tribute to summer.  Mix it up; leave it in the refrigerator to enjoy whenever you feel like it!

SUMMER FRUIT SANGRIA
·         1 cup pitted mixed cherries
·         1 cup sliced halved red seedless grapes
·         ½ cup black raspberries
·         6 sliced/wedged red plums
·         2 peaches peeled and thinly wedged
·         2-750 ml bottles or 1-150ml bottle of dry red wine (like Rioja)
·         1 cup Citronage
·         2/3 cups brandy
·         Juice of 3 oranges (freshly squeezed)
·         Ginger ale

Combine the wine, Citronage, brandy and orange juice in a large jar or pitcher.  Add all the fruits and allow to chill overnight.  Serve in a glass with ice and a splash of ginger ale for a bit of fizz.  Garnish with an orange slice.
Note: if you can’t find a specific fruit in the recipe, substitute another fruit of your liking (e.g. red raspberries or blackberries for black raspberries)

I’m not trying to be déclassé by leaving the price tag on the bottle of wine but the astounding price for the quality was a big winner in this recipe for me.

In case you are not familiar with Citronage, I did not want to use Triple Sec in this recipe as I find it too sweet and intended to Cointreau which is also an orange liqueur.  Citronage is in the middle of the two, offering a clean orange flavor more affordably than Cointreau.

I have been fortunate to garner ready attention and collaboration with my mixology pursuits at each North Boulder Liquors and Liquor Mart in Boulder for locals.  This particular purchasing trip was to North Boulder Liquors where they recommended a perfect wine for this Sangria.  I used a Frontera Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2010 (Chile, Concha Y Toro).  It provided a smooth flavor profile for the Sangria and was a whopping $10.99 for a 150ml bottle.  They assured me despite the affordable price did not imply a lower quality and they were spot on.

Comments

What gorgeous fruit you have in season there! I love sangria (any and all versions) and this sounds great to add to our repertoire. Thanks for the advice on using Citronage.

I love sangria, but can't drink it anymore because of my allergies. What a bummer. I was just recently thinking about creating a white wine version with lighter colored fruits. I really like your addition of the plums.
    I will miss you on Thursday!

oh my goodness, you were right, this sangria looks heavenly! I love lots of fruit in my sangria and you certainly did make a nice combination with that lovely red.
    I could certainly use some right now as we ride out this storm.

I love summer Sangria although I usually make mine with a white wine, peaches, apples and oranges.

I always use Citronge for drinks too; most notably margaritas! Triple sec is nothing but sugar water with artificial flavors (which is why it's cheaper too) and there is no doubt using a better quality orange liqueur makes a big difference.

If not so early I might say I want one of these now…on second thought; with little sleep last night, maybe this would be better than coffee right?

The quintessential summer drink – so good with grilled and spicy dishes! Haven't made a batch up yet this summer but this is definitely inspiring me to do so!!

you are sooo funny about the price tag thing! Had to laugh – This looks awesome… love the colors and I love the photo with the napkin underneath the glass… the napkin really makes things pop! Awesome end of summer drink!

Yum! Your sangria looks perfect. I was in Boulder recently and sipped on some delicious white wine sangria at The Med. I've been meaning to try making my own! Frontera is also my favorite affordable wine. The chardonnay is great.