(Top to bottom) Chef Alex Seidel and Fruition’s: Thai Style Octopus Ceviche, ChoLon: Salmon Tartare bite on a piped avocado, Twelverestaurant: Goat Cheese Panna Cotta with heirloom tomatoes and bread crumbs
(Top to bottom) Simms Steakhouse: Buffalo Chicken fried steak on a Belgium waffle, The Candy Booth Specialty Liquor Booth: Fruit Loop Cocktail: Loopy vodka (Fruit Loop flavored vodka) and Sierra Mist, McCormick’s Fish House and Bar: Freshly Schucked Oysters, Willie G’s: Prime Rib Bruschetta with Spicy Aioli
Rialto Cafe Prosciutto wrapped dates stuffed with gorgonzola cheese (I have moments of remembering this dish like savoring a love affair; it was a perfect mix of savory, sweet, salty, soft)
- Gently smash the lemongrass and cut into small slices about a 1/8 of an inch thick.
- In a sauce pan sweat the ginger and lemongrass with an enough canola oil to coat the pan.
- When you can smell the aromatics of the ginger and lemongrass add the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and remove from the heat. Allow one hour to steep and then strain, reserve the liquid and cool.
- Take one of the cucumbers and ½ of each of the cleaned melons and place in a heavy duty blender. Blend until this becomes a liquid. Reserve the liquid and cool.
- ‘Bruniose’ or finely dice the remaining melon, cucumber, and all the red pepper, jalapeño and reserve.
- Finely slice the octopus tentacles and reserve.
- ‘Chiffonade’ or slice the mint and reserve.
- Finely mince the cilantro and reserve.
- Dice the fish into small ¼ inch cubes and reserve on ice.
- Combine the chilled coconut milk, cucumber melon liquid, diced cucumber, diced pepper, diced melon, lime juice, octopus, cilantro, jalapeno, fish sauce and octopus.
- Season accordingly with salt and chill.
- 30 min to 45 min before serving add the fish. Be careful not to add the fish to soon as it will over cook because of the acid.
- Peel the plantains with a paring knife.
- On a slicer or mandoline slice the plantains into thin strips.
- Fry at 275 degrees F until golden and crispy. Lightly season with salt. You can fry these in advance.
- Serve the ceviche in a glass or bowl and finish with the plantain chips.