Split Pea Soup with Red Wine and Ham
- 2 cups dried green split peas rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 strip kombu seaweed*
- 3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 large carrots finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons celery leaf fresh, diced
- 3 medium-large red new potatoes peeled and cubed (1/2” cubes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 1 ham bone
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup ham cubed (1/2” cubes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot or dutch oven, combine the split peas, water, chicken stock, kombu seaweed, garlic, carrots, celery, celery leaf, potato, bay leaf, onion, ham bone and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmering, cover and cook until split peas are completely soft and become mushy (approximately 60-90 minutes).
- Add wine, dried herbs and ham. Allow to simmer 30 additional minutes.
- Remove kombu seaweed and ham bone. Salt and pepper to taste.
Crock Pot Method
- Follow instructions above substituting a crock pot, adding all ingredients in Step 1 to the crock pot set for 6 hours.
- When 6 hours is complete add ingredients in Step 2 and allow to simmer 30 additional minutes for flavors to fully develop.