This post is sponsored as part of Boulder Locavore’s ongoing partnership with Udi’s Gluten-Free, exploring gluten-free recipes, health and wellness.
I find my food inspiration often follows me home from my travels. The southwest always gets me excited about big flavors, spicy sauces and fresh ingredients. It becomes a theme in our household until I settle back into a usual groove.
I’m not a huge sandwich eater but when there is a good one, I think there is nothing better. Sandwiches are often the first thing to go when taking on a gluten-free diet. ‘Bread’ can become a curse word of sorts, and the time to find a bread that is flavorful and satisfying can be discouraging. It can be easier to just forget it and eat something else.
While my kids and I were traveling recently we found a bakery that had all sorts of submarine sandwiches. They were fascinated and of course had never had one being gluten-free kids. It struck me in that moment that there was no reason we could not make them at home.
One of our favorite bread options is Udi’s Gluten-Free French Baguettes. When Udi’s began to make the baguettes I felt like it addressed a gap I’d been feeling. I was able to make homemade garlic bread again, serve baguettes with meals and the best part was using them for sandwiches which we do often.
I had not made a sub sandwich with them, however, and felt the time was perfect for a Southwestern Sub Sandwich. One complaint I had with sub sandwiches when I was able to eat them was there often was too much bread in proportion to the filling (my favorite part). These soft, slender baguettes are a ‘just right’ solution to compliment the filling without getting completely carb’ed out.
This Southwestern Sub sandwich definitely has a kick thanks to jalapeno pepper jack cheese and chipotle mayonnaise, which you can make yourself or purchase. Smoked turkey adds another layer of flavor and all of this is loaded with tasty vegetables to boot. The avocado can be thickly sliced as seen in the photos, or once out of the peel they can be sliced thinly or even mashed depending on your preference. Any way you choose, it’s delicious! Served with some chips (we love Udi’s Jalapeno Cheese Ancient Grain Crisps which are light, and crunchy with big flavor) and fruit, and you have a memorable lunch or dinner. They could also be made with a full baguette to cut into smaller sandwiches for parties or gatherings.
Southwestern Sub Sandwich
- 1 9-10 inch Baguette (3 inches wide), sliced open lengthwise and in half horizontally
- Chipotle Mayonnaise (homemade or purchased)
- 4 slices Smoked Turkey deli meat
- 2 slices Jalapeno Pepper Jack cheese (pre-sliced or self-sliced)
- 2 leaves fresh Green Lettuce
- 2 ripe fresh Cocktail Tomatoes or 1 small regular Tomato
- 1-2 mini Sweet Peppers , cut into rings (slices from a large sweet pepper may be substituted)
- ¼ fresh Avocado , sliced lengthwise
- Kosher Salt and ground Black Pepper
- Spread some of the chipotle mayonnaise on the inside of the baguette (both top and bottom). Layer the turkey and cheese slices on the bottom. Followed by the lettuce, tomato, pepper rings and the avocado. Sprinkle with some kosher salt and pepper.
Learn more about living gluten free! Visit http://udisglutenfree.com/community
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.