This rich, creamy Peppermint Milkshake recipe is a perfect sweet treat for the holiday season. Full of peppermint candies or candy cane pieces, it’s special treat during the winter months.
Creamy vanilla ice cream, peppermint candy and pure peppermint extract blend together into a delicious holiday traditions. Most people don’t think about ice cream during the winter months but one sip of this milkshake and you’ll be hooked. It’s easy to make at home and for a fraction of the cost.
This peppermint shake can be made any time of the year not just the month of December which is when most peppermint milkshakes are available at a local restaurant.
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Whole milk or 2% milk. We use full fat dairy milk to get the richest flavor in this peppermint milkshake. Any type of milk would work (lower fat dairy or plant milk) it just might not be as rich in flavor.
Vanilla ice cream. Any type of vanilla ice cream can be used. Vanilla frozen yogurt or plant-based vanilla ice ‘cream’ too; it just may not be as rich.
Peppermint extract. This can be found in the baking area of the grocery store or online. It gives a great peppermint flavor along with peppermint candies. Use pure peppermint extract for the best flavor.
Peppermint candies. You can use starlight mints or mini candy canes for this.
How to make Peppermint Milkshake
STEP 1. Crush candies
Add the peppermint candies to a ziplock bag and seal it shut. Using a kitchen hammer, pound the candies with light- to medium pressure to crush them (photo 1). You’ll want some pieces that are bigger and some that are smaller.
STEP 2. Blend
Combine the ice cream, milk, peppermint extract and the crushed candies in a blender (photo 2).
Blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes (photo 3).
STEP 3. Serve
Serve in chilled glasses and top with whipped cream, additional peppermints, or candy canes (photo 4).
Add some chocolate. If you love a peppermint chocolate combination drizzle in some chocolate syrup before blending. OR substitute chocolate ice cream for the vanilla ice cream.
Peppermint Bark Milkshake. Instead of adding crushed peppermint candies and chocolate syrup you can add peppermint bark. It will create more of a peppermint chip milkshake.
Use peppermint ice cream. This can be difficult to find outside the holiday season but if you can find it you can shortcut and replace the vanilla ice cream and candies. If you add the candies it will give bursts of peppermint throughout the milkshake.
Add some liquor! Adding some peppermint schnaps or creme de menthe turns this best milkshake into a cocktail. Use clear creme de menthe unless you want the milkshake to be green.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. The extract flavors the milkshake overall. The crushed candies give a burst of peppermint flavor or peppermint chip consistency. If only using the candies the milkshake as a whole won’t be fully peppermint flavored.
Unfortunately this doesn’t work well. If it’s in the freezer it will hard freeze. If it’s in the refrigerator it will liquefy. Make and drink it is our recommendation!
Yes if you can find it! Strangely enough it’s not the easiest flavor to find even during the holidays. If you want to use it you can swap it for the vanilla ice cream and omit the peppermint extract. Depending on the ice cream consistency you can still add the crushed candies or not.
More recipes you’ll love!
- ⅓ cup peppermint candies or mini candy canes
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup whole milk or 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Whipped cream and crushed peppermints or candy canes for topping
- Add the peppermint candies to a ziplock bag and seal it shut. Using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer, pound the candies with light- to medium pressure to crush them. NOTE: You want some pieces that are bigger and some that are smaller for a peppermint chip effect in the milkshake.⅓ cup peppermint candies or mini candy canes
- Add the ice cream, milk, peppermint extract and the crushed candies to a blender.2 cups vanilla ice cream, ½ cup whole milk or 2% milk, ½ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. There will be some peppermint candy chips.
- Serve in two chilled glasses and top with whipped cream, additional peppermints, or candy canes.Whipped cream and crushed peppermints or candy canes for topping