Instant Pot Pot Roast is an easy comfort food recipe making a succulent savory roast with no effort from you! Weekend-perfect, weeknight-easy. A keto recipe.
Pot roast is a comfort food classic. It is easy to make, satisfying and today’s recipe is a game changer: Creamy Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast.
The recipe harnesses the best things about cooking in the Instant Pot for a moist, tender, flavor-filled easy dinner recipe.
Creamy Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast
This is the season where easy comfort food is king. Busy weeknights, lazy weekends all call for satisfying recipes that don’t take a lot of time.
Nothing hits the spot quite like pot roast. It’s the thing meat-and-potato dreams are made of. Simple honest food that delivers.
That doesn’t mean it has to be boring. This aromatic recipe cooks in a creamy sauce of onion, mushrooms, herbs and spices for a succulent roast.
Butter, cream cheese and heavy cream combine with the cooking juices for a delicious ‘jus’ to drizzle over the meat when served.
It’s an unthickened sauce, all made in the Instant Pot, so no fuss and no heaviness.
Ingredients in Creamy Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast
The wholesome ingredients give this instant pot pot roast its great flavor and moistness.
The star is a chuck roast, along with sliced mushrooms and onions. Coconut oil adds an a wonderful flavor element and aroma.
Minced dried onion, parsley, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, salt are rubbed into the roast before cooking.
Butter, cream cheese and heavy cream provide the wow factor! Even with these rich ingredients the sauce is light, like a ‘jus’ (a meat gravy made with the meat juices vs heavier, thickened ingredients).
Why Instant Pot Pot Roast?
Pressure cooking, the main function used on an Instant Pot, tenderizes meat giving it a great texture that’s moist and tender. The flavors and liquids in the recipe penetrate the instant pot pot roast giving it a mouthwatering flavor.
Traditional pot roast recipes can become dry and frankly not taste like much.
When cooked in a pressure cooker, the instant pot pot roast is moist, tender while retaining the natural nutrients in the ingredients.
This is the Instant Pot I use (because you ask!).
Longer Cooking Time = Better Instant Pot Pot Roast
Most Instant Pot recipes are popular due to the speed with which they cook. I love that too.
This Instant Pot Pot Roast recipes is a great example of how a longer cooking time is worth it. It’s still easy, everything happens in the Instant Pot but the results of more cooking time make all the difference.
The chuck roast cooks for 90 minutes on the Meat setting then has a natural release which takes about 30 minutes. This allows all the juices to really penetrate the meat giving it the succulent end result.
How Long Does this Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe Take?
Plan on the roast being in the Instant Pot about 2 hours plus the time to come to pressure.
An Easy Keto Dinner Recipe
Creamy Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast is a recipe from recently released The ‘I Love My Instant Pot’ Keto Diet Recipe Book from Sam Dillard.
The recipe book is full of great recipe options for those following a Keto diet or anyone looking for easy, delicious recipes using their Instant Pot.
What is the Keto Diet?
If you aren’t on the Keto diet you’ve undoubtedly heard of it with loads of recipes popping up on Pinterest and other locations due to its popularity.
Sam Dillard spells it out in this recipe book: ‘The ketogenic diet, or keto, is a very low-carb, moderate-protein, and high-fat diet that allows the body to fuel itself without the use of glucose or high levels of carbohydrates.’
Recipes in every category are an available in the recipe book giving some great inspiration for all meals of the day.
A Great Instant Pot Recipe for Everyone!
I love this Creamy Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe. The flavor of the meat is fantastic. The sauce is light, perfect for perking up the served meat with some flavor-packed moisture.
Everyone will love the recipe not just those following a Keto diet protocol!
How to Make Instant Pot Pot Roast – Step by Step:
- Select the Saute button on the Instant Pot; add the mushrooms, onion and oil to sauté for 5 minutes (photo 1).
- Combine the spices in a small bowl and rub into the chuck roast.
- Press ‘cancel’ to stop the sauté function; add the beef broth (photo 2) and the roast into the Instant Pot (photo 3).
- Place the butter and cream cheese on top of the roast (photo 4). Close the lid. Select the ‘meat’ function, ‘More’ (on the heat adjust button) and set time for 90 minutes.
- When cooking time completes, allow for a full natural release of the pressure (will take about 30 minutes). Remove the lid (photo 5). Note: if the cream cheese did not melt, spoon it into the cooking liquids; it will melt when making the sauce.
- Stir in the heavy cream (photo 6) and gently remove the roast. Select the ‘sauté’ function and allow the cooking liquids to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to reduce (note: it will still be a thinner sauce). Spoon over the meat when serving.
More Favorite Instant Pot Recipes:
- Quick & Easy Comfort FoodInstant Pot Jambalaya Recipe
- Instant Pot Smoked Paprika & Garlic Chicken Legs
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
Mind-Blowing Instant Pot Tips You Need to Know!
After developing Instant Pot recipes for the past few years, I’ve uncovered some unexpected, useful tips I think you’ll want to know!
Sign-Up below and I’ll tell you all my Instant Pot secrets!
If you’ve made this Creamy Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Creamy Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 pound chuck roast
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Press the SAUTE button and mushrooms, onion, and coconut oil to Instant Pot®. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until onions turn translucent.
- While stir-frying, mix dried minced onion, parsley, pepper, garlic, oregano, and salt in small bowl. Rub into chuck roast.
- Press the CANCEL button. Add Beef Broth and roast into pot. Place butter and cream cheese on top. Click lid closed.
- Select the MEAT button and press the ADJUST button to set heat to MORE. Set time to 90 minutes.
- When timer beeps allow a FULL NATURAL RELEASE to retain moisture in meat.
- When pressure valve drops, stir in heavy cream and remove roast carefully; it will be fall-apart tender.
- Press the SAUTE button and reduce the sauce in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes, stirring occaisionally.
- Press the CANCEL button and spoon over the roast when serving.
Disclosure: I received a copy of ‘I Love My Instant Pot Keto Diet Recipe Book’ for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.