These classic peanut butter cookies recipe is a peanut butter lovers dream cookie. They cook to a golden brown with the perfect consistency, soft and chewy.
There’s a good reason peanut butter cookies are a favorite. Any day is made better with a batch of these cookies. It’s an easy recipe for perfect peanut butter cookies.
With only 8-10 minutes baking time, and ingredients easy to find at the grocery store, it’s easy to whip up a batch whenever you are in the mood.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These is an easy peanut butter cookie recipe
- No dough chilling is required
- The best texture; soft and chewy with a slightly crispy outside.
- Loads of peanut butter flavor
- Can be made ‘regular’ or gluten-free (we’ve tested both)
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Peanut butter. Use creamy peanut butter. Do not use natural peanut butter that requires stirring to incorporate the separated oil.
All purpose flour. Regular flour or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour can be used. For making the cookies gluten-free we recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour.
Unsalted butter. Start with softened butter.
Uses baking powder and baking soda. This combination helps the thick peanut butter cookies
Why make the criss-cross pattern?
The cross-hatch marks on top of homemade peanut butter cookies made with the tines of a fork both provide a classic design but also have a function purpose. Dipping the fork in some sugar and creating the fork marks flatten the cookies a bit so they bake more uniformly. The dough balls should be flattened to about 1/2-inch thick going into the oven.
How to make Peanut Butter Cookies – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, a silicon mat or spray with non-stick cooking spray. A non-stick baking sheet can also be used.
STEP 2. Make cookie dough
In a large bowl using a hand held mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy (photo 1).
Add the eggs, vanilla extract and peanut butter (photo 2). Mix to combine.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to mix together (photo 3).
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until fully combined (photo 4).
STEP 3. Make cookies
Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter cookie dough (use a cookie scoop if possible) and form a dough balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet (photos 5-6).
Use a dining fork dipped into a little granulated sugar (photo 7) to make a cross-hatch pattern on the top of the dough ball and flatten the cookie to be 1/2 inch thick (photos 8-11).
STEP 4. Bake
Bake for 9-10 minutes.
STEP 5. Cool
Allow to sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes or until the cookies have set. Move with a spatula to a wire rack to fully cool before eating (photo 12).
Add chocolate chips. For a classic cookie combination add up to 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the dough. Using mini chips works even better for keeping the form of the soft peanut butter cookies and adding chocolate into every bite.
Add a Hershey’s kiss. Skip making the crisscross pattern on the cookie balls. Bake the cookies and as soon as they are done press a Hershey’s kiss into the top for a blossom cookie.
Microwaving cookies. After cookies have been stored, place one in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it up before eating!
Don’t use natural peanut butter. Natural peanut butter that has oil separated. It will change the structure of the cookies.
Use a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop. Not only does that make creating the ball of dough faster, easier and less messy but it ensures the cookies will be the same size. This provides they will all bake in the same amount of time.
Frequently asked questions
Yes you can if you’d enjoy a crunchier texture! Substitute the same amount of crunchy peanut butter.
Allow cookies to cool completely. Place into a freezer safe container with parchment paper or wax paper between layers of cookies. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
How to store
Store completely cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks (in a cool dry environment).
More recipes you’ll love!
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar Packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter do not use natural peanut butter
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a non-stick baking sheet or line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and peanut butter. Mix to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough (use a cookie scoop if possible) and form a ball. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a dining fork dipping into granulated sugar to make a cross hatch pattern on the top of the dough ball and flatten the cookie to be 1/2 inch thick.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Allow to sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes or until the cookies have set. Move with a spatula to a wire cooling rack to fully cool before eating.