Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops melt into hot milk for a rich cup of hot chocolate. Fun to make, they are great for gifts and printable gift labels are included in the recipe!
This delicious DIY recipe makes the tastiest hot chocolate you’ve had!
Even better it makes peppermint hot chocolate in a package perfect for Christmas stockings and holiday gift giving.
It’s a great project and you can make the chocolate layers any way you want them. OR make them solid.
Hot Chocolate Spoons
If you’ve been on Pinterest you’ve seen hot chocolate spoons.
They are usually dipped in chocolate with some marshmallows stuck on them.
OR made with a block of chocolate in an ice cube tray.
This is the same sort of idea with more pizzazz!
Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops
Part recipe, part craft, Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops are a stunning gift that’s fun to make.
Swirled in a cup of hot milk they transform into the most rich, luscious peppermint hot chocolate you’ve ever tasted!
The candy cane is the stirring stick until is dissolves into the hot cocoa!
You’ll love How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs too!
There is a mix of ingredients and supplies needed to make these pops.
The pops themselves require:
- Chocolate chips
- Marshmallow Bits
- full size Candy Canes
What Type of Chocolate to Use
The Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops can be made with just one type of chocolate.
It can be semi-sweet, dark or white chocolate.
They can be layered with multiple types of chocolate if desired too.
TIP: If layering, allow each layer to harden between ‘stripes’.
How to Make Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops
These pops are easy and fun to make!
Here is how they are made ‘in a nutshell’.
For a detailed printable recipe refer to the recipe card at the end of the blog post.
STEP 1: Pour melted chocolate into a bathroom size Dixie cup
STEP 2: Insert a full-size candy cane in the middle (photo 1). Secure with foil.
STEP 3: Place Tiny Marshmallow Bits (micro marshmallows) on the top.
STEP 4: Allow to harden. Peel off the Dixie cups and wrap in cellophane bags. Secure a gift label or use! (photos 2-4)
How to Store them
Store in a cool dry location for up to 1 week.
Do not store in the refrigerator. The moisture will cause condensation on the chocolate as well as the candy cane.
It can cause the candy cane to break off.
How to Use these Hot Chocolate Pops
After the chocolate sets, swirl in a cup of hot milk to melt the chocolate and release the marshmallows.
How fun is that?
CANDY CANE HOT COCOA POPS – PRINTABLE GIFT LABELS
Download a sheet of FREE printable Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops gift labels!
It’s a great way to turn this fun recipe into a surprise holiday gift.
Just wrap the pops with plastic lollipop sleeves from a craft or baking store and attach the label!
Would be so cute with a fun holiday mug for a teacher, neighbor, or stocking stuffer!
Where to Buy – Ingredients and Supplies (links included)
I typically buy as much as possible on Amazon.com especially at this time of year (to avoid trying multiple stores) so am including links here.
Many of these supplies may be found at grocery stores, and craft supply stores should you prefer a brick-and-mortar shopping experience!
Bath size Dixie Cups (3-ounce size)
Candy Canes (full size)
Marshmallow Bits. These are a specific marshmallow size smaller than a mini marshmallow. They are also freeze dried. The size is perfect for these pops.
I originally used Kraft Jet Puff Mallow Bits but they have become difficult to find especially in the white color.
String, twine or ribbon to affix the labels (TIP: lollipop wrappers usually come with decorative twist ties too that would work)
More Homemade Craft and Gift Ideas
- DIY Milk Carton Holiday Houses
- Candy Cane and Lime Swirl Bath Salts (with printable labels)
- Orange Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub (with printable labels)
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Candied Pecans
- Festive Double Mint Chocolate Dipped Candy Canes
Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops
- Chocolate chips (1 cup for 3 hot cocoa pops)
- Marshmallow Bits (1 tablespoon per hot cocoa pop)
- 3 ounce bathroom size Dixie cups (non-waxed); plan to use 2 per pop
- Full size candy canes , unwrapped
- Heavy duty tin foil , cut into pieces large enough to fit over the top of the Dixie but and drape over the sides
- Lollipop plastic wrappers (or small treat bags) for wrapping pops if desired
- String or twist ties if using wrappers
- Printable Labels
- Determine the number of pops you will make.
- Calculate the amount of chocolate chips, marshmallow bits, candy canes and Dixie cups needed.
- Nest two Dixie cups together for each pop.
Melting the Chocolate
- In a double boiler or in a metal mixing bowl over a pan of boiling water, place the amount of chocolate chips needed for the number of pops being made. Stir often until the chocolate has melted fully.
For Solid Pops (one type of chocolate only)
- Fill the inner Dixie cup to be half-full with melted chocolate.
For Striped Pops (multiple types of chocolate)
- Pour desired amount of chocolate in the cup. TIP: Wipe off excess chocolate on the inside of the cup above the top of the first layer with a cotton swab (or it will be visible in the second layer of chocolate).
- Follow instructions for securing the candy cane with foil below. DO NOT add the marshmallows until the final layer of chocolate.
- Allow to harden in the refrigerator for 30 minutes until set.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Slide the foil up the candy cane, pour the next layer of chocolate and return to the refrigerator to set.
- Repeat until desired layers are complete to fill the Dixie cup half full.
- Proceed to Adding the Marshmallow Bits step below.
Inserting the Candy Cane
- Place a piece of foil over the top of the Dixie cup (don't fold the sides down). Add a slit in the middle only large enough to insert the candy cane (any larger will not hold the candy cane in place).
- Insert the straight end of the candy cane through the slit in the foil, into the middle of the chocolate until it touches the bottom of the cup.
Adding the Miniature Marshmallow Bits
- Hold the candy cane in place with one hand while distributing one tablespoon of Marshmallow Bits around the top of the chocolate to cover with the opposite hand. Push some into the chocolate to secure.
- Slide the foil down over the top of the cup. Fold foil over on the sides to secure it around the cup and hold the candy cane upright in the middle of the cup.
- Place in the refrigerator to fully harden.
Wrapping the Hot Cocoa Pop
- Once the chocolate has hardened (approximately an hour) remove the outer Dixie cup and discard.
- Peel the inner cup away from the chocolate to release the pop.
- Wrap and attach a label for a gift if desired.
To Use Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops
- Swirl the pop in a cup of 8 ounces hot milk to dissolve the chocolate to make Peppermint Hot Chocolate. NOTE: Additional stirring with a spoon may be necessary if the candy cane melts before the chocolate is fully dissolved.
Love this hat. And this boy.
Originally published: December 14, 2014