Delicious moist Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are easy to make and the perfect start to a day! It’s a great way to use overripe bananas and turn them into a decadent treat!
Imagine a fluffier version of classic banana bread with melty chocolate chips added in muffin form. That’s these easy muffins! They are super moist and full of flavor.
The addition of chocolate chips to the banana flavor makes homey sweet treats you’ll love. They are a perfect way to start the day and a great treat option too.
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Whole milk. We used whole milk in this moist banana muffins recipes. The fat content of the milk helps ensure the moistness.
Vegetable oil. You’ll use vegetable oil or canola oil (they have a neutral flavor) instead of butter.
Bananas. Choose fully ripened medium size bananas. They do not have to be overripe but those will work too. You’ll mash them (use a fork or potato masher) before starting the recipe.
Flour. Regular all purpose flour or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour will work. For gluten-free baking we use and recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour.
Sugar. You’ll use regular granulated sugar.
Semi-sweet Chocolate chips. We love these the best because they add a perfect amount of chocolate flavor without over sweetening the muffins.
How to ripen bananas
If you have underripe bananas, roast them instead! Place the bananas unpeeled on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Allow the roasted bananas to cool before peeling and removing the fruit. Mash and proceed!
Roasting the bananas gives them a wonderful caramelized flavor too.
How to make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin tin (or two) with paper liners. NOTE: this chocolate chip banana muffins recipe makes 20 regular size muffins.
STEP 2. Mix the wet ingredients
Combine the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and beat until thoroughly combined (photo1).
Add the mashed banana and beat to combine with the other ingredients. Add the sugar to the mixing bowl and beat well (photo 2).
STEP 3. Dry ingredients
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour with the baking powder.
STEP 4. Combine
Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix together (do not overmix)(photo 3). Fold in the chocolate chips (photo 4). NOTE: the batter will be more like a cake batter (more liquid) than a thick batter.
STEP 5. Bake and Cool
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin liners filling 3/4 full of batter (photo 5).
Bake in the center of the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the pan and allow the muffins to sit in the muffin pan for 5 minutes (photo 6). Remove and place on a wire rack to fully cool before serving.
Add nuts. Add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans for banana nut muffins.
Use different chocolate chips. Instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips try milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips. You can also chop chocolate instead of using chips.
Sugar. You can use half granulated sugar and half brown sugar if desired.
How to Store
Store the fully cooled muffins in an airtight container lined with paper towel at room temperature for up to 4 days. Store in a single layer if possible. They can also be stored in the refrigerator. Allow to warm before serving.
To freeze: wrap muffins individually and place into a freezer safe container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
More recipes you’ll love!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 1-2 muffin tins with baking liners (will make 20 muffins total).
- Combine the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat until thoroughly combined (with a whisk or electic mixer).Add the mashed banana and beat again.
- Add the sugar to the mixing bowl and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, mixing well to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture; stir until almost combined*. Add the chocolate chips and stir together until fully combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the muffin batter between the muffin liners (you'll fill them about 3/4 full).
- Bake in the center of the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Remove and allow cool fully before eating.
You can use semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips for this recipe. How to Store Store the fully cooled muffins in an airtight container lined with paper towel at room temperature for up to 4 days. Store in a single layer if possible. They can also be stored in the refrigerator. Allow to warm before serving. To freeze: wrap muffins individually and place into a freezer safe container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.