Apple Cider Bundt Cake just tastes like fall! With three types of apple flavor in a moist cake with soft crumb you can’t go wrong! Apple cider, fresh shredded apple and applesauce make this easy cake recipe a favorite any time of year!
Nothing beats fresh apple and warm fall spices. It’s a homey flavor perfect with a hot cup of coffee to satisfy a sweet tooth with cozy flavors.
This easy Bundt cake recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the fall season with a cozy cake that’s easy to make!
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Applesauce. This makes the cake moist and gives apple flavor! Use store bought or homemade applesauce. If preferred you can substitute the same amount of oil instead; applesauce and vegetable oil are interchangeable in baking recipes!
Eggs. Use four large eggs.
Spices. Ground cinnamon and ground ginger give the apple cider cake the flavor of warm apple cider donuts.
All purpose flour. Regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend can be used. We use and recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 flour blend for gluten-free baking.
Apple Cider. This is the second version of apple that gives this cake delicious apple flavor. The deep flavor and warm spices give it great flavor. You can use filtered or unfiltered apple cider (unfiltered will have more flavor).
If possible use fresh apple cider which has a wonderful strong fresh apple cider flavor. You can find it at a Farmers’ Market or local apple orchard during the fall season.
Light brown sugar and granulated sugar. We combine both for a sweet caramelized flavor you’d expect in a cake donut!
Grated Apple. Grated fresh apple gives some texture, moisture and another form of apple flavor. Skip the mild red delicious apples and go from something with more bold flavor like Granny smith apples or Honeycrisp. You’ll need 3/4 cup of grated apple.
Powdered sugar. We added sifted powdered sugar on top for a finishing touch. You can also add a glaze if desired or make a delicious Apple Cider Donut Cake (instructions in the Variations section).
How to make Apple Cider Cake
Printable recipe card at the end of this post.
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a Bundt cake pan with non-stick cooking spray (photo 1). Set aside.
STEP 2. Make cake batter
In a large bowl, using a hand electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla extract (photo 2). Set aside.
In a separate medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: ground ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and flour (photo 3). Set aside.
Add half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix well (photo 4). While mixing, add in ½ of the apple cider and alternate with the remaining flour until both the flour and cider are mixed in (photo 5).
With a spatula or spoon, fold in the grated apple (photo 6).
Pour batter into the prepared Bundt pan (photo 7).
STEP 3. Bake & Cool
Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan (photo 8), then invert pan onto a cooling wire rack and cool completely (photo below).
STEP 4. Finish
Once cooled, top with powdered sugar. Consider a variation below!
Add some nuts. Fold in some pecans or walnuts into the cake!
Caramel drizzle. Drizzle with caramel sauce when serving or on top of the cake for a caramel apple flavor. Try our salted caramel sauce.
Apple Cider Donut Cake. Brush some melted butter on the warm cake with a pastry brush and sprinkle with a coating of cinnamon sugar mixture. Make the coating as light or heavy as you enjoy apple cider donuts.
Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This is perfect with a warm slice of the cake!
Using apple juice instead of apple cider. If you prefer a milder flavor or if you cannot locate apple cider, apple juice can be used. It will be more of an apple cake. You can also increase the spices if desired.
How to store
Store the cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cake can dry out in the refrigerator so be sure it’s tightly sealed.
Thoroughly spray the pan. Because Bundt pans have indentations you want to be sure it’s fully sprayed for full release of the apple cider cake when it’s done cooling. Do not over spray (the spray should not be running down the pan sides).
Don’t overmix the batter. This can cause cakes to become tougher in texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
A standard Bundt pan is 10-inches and holds 1o-12 cups. A 10-cup Bundt pan works great for this apple cider cake recipe. This is our favorite Bundt pan.
Apple juice is filtered, pasteurized and spices are not added. It’s a clear amber juice. Apple cider is darker in color and often includes some solids that will settle on the bottom of the bottle. It can be pasteurized or unpasteurized and is seasoned with the flavors you think of for fall. It has a stronger apple flavor.
Yes! Allow it to fully cool, do not add the powdered sugar sprinkled on top, wrap snugly with plastic wrap followed by foil or place in a large freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months and thaw in the refrigerator. Serve warm or at room temperature for best flavor.
More recipes you’ll love!
Apple Cider Cake
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup grated apple
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a Bundt cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside
- In a large bowl, using a hand electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Set aside.1/4 cup applesauce, 4 large eggs, 1 cup light brown sugar, ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a separate medium bowl, sift the ground ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Set aside.¾ teaspoon ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Add half of the flour to the wet mixture and mix well. While mixing, add in ½ of the apple cider and alternate with the remaining flour until both the flour and cider are mixed in.3/4 cup apple cider
- With a spatula or spoon, fold in the grated apple.3/4 cup grated apple
- Pour batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert pan onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Once cooled, top with sifted powdered sugar.¼ cup powdered sugar