No campfire required for these S’mores Cookies! Fudgy chocolate truffle cookies topped with marshmallow fluff and graham cracker crumbs serve up all the delicious flavors of s’mores any time!
Classic s’mores are the most iconic summer dessert with good reason! They conjure images of gooey marshmallows toasting over campfires paired with Hershey bars milk chocolate squares and graham cracker squares. Squeezing them all together hoping the marshmallows don’t totally squeeze out the sides into a sticky mess.
These ultimate S’mores Cookies pull together all those well-loved flavors in an easy cookie recipe (without a fire pit)! This fun twist on traditional s’mores in cookie form is a family favorite treat and favorite of the cookie recipes. They are even popped under the broiler at the end for a golden brown finish on top of the cookie!
In just 40 minutes you can have a taste of summer any time of year. The only thing you’ll miss out on is sticky fingers!
Recipe Ingredients Notes
All-Purpose Flour. Regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend work for this recipe. We use (and recommend) Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour for gluten-free baked goods.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips. Regular size or mini chocolate chips can be used. Some will be melted to create the fudgy chocolate flavor of the cookies (the best cookies) and some will be stirred in.
Unsalted butter. The butter does not need to be softened first because it will be melted in with the chocolate chips.
Marshmallow Fluff. Also known as ‘marshmallow cream’, it’s a spreadable version of marshmallows most known for fluffernutter sandwiches. You can use store bought marshmallow fluff or make it yourself with our organic marshmallow fluff recipe.
Graham cracker crumbs. You can use store bought graham cracker crumbs (regular or gluten-free) or make them yourself. Use a mini chopper or food processor to process whole graham crackers into crumbs.
How to Make S’mores Cookies – Step-by-Step
The base of S’mores Cookies are chocolate truffle cookies which are easy and fast to make! Detailed instructions in the recipe card at the end of the blog post.
Making Chocolate Truffle Cookies
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
Combine the chocolate chips and butter and melt using a double boiler, in a boil over boiling water or in the microwave (following melting instructions on the chocolate chip package).
STEP 2. Make the dough
Combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
Using a large mixing bowl (a separate bowl) with a hand held electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, lightly beat the eggs with medium speed. Beat in the sugar. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract, and mix together.
Slowly add the flour mixture. Stir in the remaining 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
STEP 3. Scoop, Bake and Cool
Scoop tablespoons of dough and place on the prepared baking sheet with 2-inches between cookies. Bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will develop some cracks and will be glossy in appearance. If VERY soft bake 1-2 additional minutes; do not overbake.
Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool.
STEP 4. Making the S’mores Cookies
Spread 1 teaspoon of marshmallow cream on the top of each cookie followed by a sprinkling of ½ teaspoon graham cracker crumbs on the tops of the cookies. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
Place S’mores Cookies on a baking sheet under a preheated broiler for 30-60 seconds; watch closely to prevent burning! Broil until the marshmallow cream begins to turn golden and puffy. Allow to cook a few minutes before serving.
Use a cookie scoop. Using a cookie scoop for this recipe makes it go much faster with less mess and the cookies will all be the same size (so will bake uniformly).
Do not overbake the cookies. The chocolate truffle cookies will look glossy when done (refer to photos), not dry. Be careful not to bake the cookies too long thinking they are not done.
Baking time variation. Different baking sheet types (dark or light colored) make a difference of a few minutes in the baking duration.
Monitor the cookies when under the broiler. The cookies will just need 30-60 seconds for the crumbs and marshmallow fluff to lightly brown. they can quickly burn so watch carefully!
How to Store
Store in an airtight container in a single layer if possible, at room temperature. If stacking place a layer of wax paper or parchment paper in between layers to help avoid cookies sticking together.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure style Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Marshmallow cream/fluff homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs regular or gluten-free
Making the Chocolate Truffle Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two large baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to fully mix and set aside.
- Melt the 1 ½ cups chocolate chips and the butter (combined) using double boiler, a metal mixing bowl over a saucepan of boiling water OR the ‘melt’ function of a microwave. Stir as needed during the melting process, until smooth texture. Do not overcook.
- Using a mixer, lightly beat the eggs (alternatively a whisk may be used).
- Mix in the sugar.
- Add the melted chocolate, and vanilla extract, mixing until fully combined.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients to fully combine.
- Stir in the remaining 1/3 cup of baking chips.
- Place tablespoon amounts of the cookie dough on the prepared baking sheets with 2 inch spacing in between them. Bake for 10 minutes and check for doneness (the cookies will have some cracks in them, be glossy but not dry; do not overcook); if still too soft allow to bake a few more minutes. Note: different baking sheet types (dark or light colored) make a difference of a few minutes in the baking duration.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, remove and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
Making the S’mores Cookies
- Spread 1 teaspoon of marshmallow cream on the top of a chocolate truffle cookie followed by a sprinkling of ½ teaspoon graham cracker crumbs. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
- Place S’mores Cookies on a baking sheet under a preheated broiler for 30-60 seconds; watch closely to prevent burning! Broil until the marshmallow cream begins to turn golden and puffy.
- Remove, allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Originally published: September 6, 2018. Originally sponsored by Enjoy Life Foods.