S’mores Cookies keep summer flavor happening all year. An easy recipe made with fudgy chocolate cookies, marshmallow cream and graham cracker crumbs. No campfire required!
This delicious recipe is sponsored by Enjoy Life Foods. All opinions are my own.
Waving good bye to summer and all the delicious foods we love is always difficult.
The recipe I’m sharing today is one that will keep a taste of summer going all year long: S’mores Cookies!
There is no more iconic a dessert than s’mores.
Marshmallows puffed by the heat of a campfire on graham crackers and a slice of chocolate.
The flavors and textures are a true taste of summer.
What are S’mores Cookies?
These S’mores Cookies start with an easy to make fudgy, chocolate truffle cookie. It has very little flour so the chocolate taste is rich and the consistency is pliable and soft.
They are topped with a smear of marshmallow cream, sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs and popped under the broiler for 30 seconds to a minute to brown.
The result? All the flavors in S’mores we love in an easy cookie that takes about 40 minutes to make, start to finish!
What is Marshmallow Cream?
For any of you that had ‘fluffernutter’ sandwiches as a kid, marshmallow cream (also known as ‘marshmallow fluff’) is a spreadable version of marshmallows that was added to the peanut butter.
Think: the inside of the marshmallow.
It’s sweet, fluffy, sticky and perfect for making S’mores Cookies.
Marshmallow cream or marshmallow fluff is available in stores but you can also make it at home. I have an organic homemade marshmallow cream recipe that tastes exactly like the store-bought product made with organic corn syrup.
How to Make S’mores Cookies
The base of S’mores Cookies are chocolate truffle cookies which are easy and fast to make!
Making Chocolate Truffle Cookies
- The oven is preheated and dry ingredients are combined and set aside.
- Chocolate chips and butter are combined and melted.
- The eggs are beaten together and granulated sugar added.
- The melted chocolate and vanilla extract are added to the egg-sugar mixture and beaten to combine.
- Additional chocolate chips and dry ingredients are mixed in.
- Cookie dough is scooped by tablespoons and baked for 10 minutes. After cooling for 5 minutes on the baking sheet they are transferred to a cooling rack. TIP: I prefer using a cookie scoop for this recipe.
Making the S’mores Cookies
Marshmallow Cream is spread on the top of the chocolate truffle cookies followed by a sprinkling of graham cracker crumbs.
The cookies are broiled for 30-60 seconds to allow the marshmallow cream to turn golden and the crumbs to crisp.
S’mores Cookies – a Flexible Recipe
I’m partnering today with a favorite brand Enjoy Life Foods to use their semi-sweet mini baking chips for this S’mores Cookie recipe.
If you aren’t familiar with Enjoy Life Foods, they create delicious foods and mixes that are free of the top 14 food allergens.
I can speak from experience that their foods are tasty and I love that they make products available for those with multiple food allergies.
You’ve seen them in other allergy-friendly recipes on Boulder Locavore such as:
- Triple Chocolate Wacky Cake with Chocolate-Stuffed Raspberries
- Rich Chocolate Cherry Brownie Pots
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream with Mini Chocolate Chips
Modifying S’mores Cookies for Food Allergens
When making the S’mores Cookies I was mindful of how they could be changed up for those who might not be able to eat all the ingredients.
Gluten-free and regular all-purpose flour may be used for the chocolate truffle cookies.
Enjoy Life Foods makes an allergy-friendly flour too and though I did not test it for this recipe I’m sure it could be swapped in as well.
Allergy-Friendly Marshmallow Cream
For those needing an option for marshmallow cream that store-bought or my Homemade Organic Marshmallow Cream recipe won’t meet, try this Allergy-Friendly Marshmallow Cream recipe.
Graham Cracker Crumbs
Crumbs can be purchased or I make my own with my mini chopper.
Also Enjoy Life Foods Vanilla Honey Graham cookies can be made into crumbs and substituted too.
I personally have not cooked with egg substitutes. However this article about Baking with these 6 egg substitutes may be helpful if you are allergic to eggs.
About Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Baking Chips
My family loves Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chips. True confession: I have to hide them in my freezer or they get inhaled right from the package.
There are only three ingredients in the semi-sweet baking chips. They are free from the top 14 food allergens and GMO’s.
The Enjoy Life Foods baking chocolate has a true chocolate flavor and I know are made with integrity.
What I like about the mini chips is that they melt quickly and are easy to add as a topping on everything from ice cream to yogurt, overnight oats and more.
Have you tried their chocolate? Enjoy Life Foods would love you to leave a review on their website here.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Smores Dip
- Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows
- How to Make Homemade Marshmallows
- Peanut Butter Cup S’Mores
- Double Dipped S’Mores Apples on a Stick
If you’ve tried this S’mores Cookies recipe please RATE THE RECIPE below!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Gluten-Free measure-for-measure style Flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup quality Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips I used Enjoy Life Foods Mini chips
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Marshmallow cream/fluff homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs regular or gluten-free
Making the Chocolate Truffle Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two large baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to fully mix and set aside.
- Melt the 1 ½ cups chocolate chips and the butter (combined) using double boiler, a metal mixing bowl over a saucepan of boiling water OR the ‘melt’ function of a microwave. Stir as needed during the melting process, until smooth texture. Do not overcook.
- Using a mixer, lightly beat the eggs (alternatively a whisk may be used).
- Mix in the sugar.
- Add the melted chocolate, and vanilla extract, mixing until fully combined.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients to fully combine.
- Stir in the remaining 1/3 cup of baking chips.
- Place tablespoon amounts of the cookie dough on the prepared baking sheets with 2 inch spacing in between them. Bake for 10 minutes and check for doneness (the cookies will have some cracks in them, be glossy but not dry; do not overcook); if still too soft allow to bake a few more minutes. Note: different baking sheet types (dark or light colored) make a difference of a few minutes in the baking duration.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, remove and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
Making the S’mores Cookies
- Spread 1 teaspoon of marshmallow cream on the top of a chocolate truffle cookie followed by a sprinkling of ½ teaspoon graham cracker crumbs. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
- Place S’mores Cookies on a baking sheet under a preheated broiler for 30-60 seconds; watch closely to prevent burning! Broil until the marshmallow cream begins to turn golden and puffy.
- Remove, allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.