Another favorite farm of mine is Jay Hill Farm. I wrote an article about them in the fall which you can read (click here) though I love their purchasing method. They were one of the first certified organic farms in Boulder as well as an initial farms at the Farmer’s Market though after 20 years have decided on having a roadside stand in the summer and due to greenhouse growing, one can order online year round. They were the farm during my experimental winter as a strict locavore where I found greens in January. Have never been happier.
My haul from Jay Hill Farm: 2 bunches of daffodils, rainbow chard, mizuna, large bag of salad greens with nasturtiums, dill, cilantro and 2 bunches of green garlic!
Back to my menu, though I purchased non-local pineapple for my salsa, Jay Hill Farms provided the cilantro!
Though I love to cook I’m often strapped for time. Creating quick meals does not leave me willing to sacrifice taste. I came up with a simple menu with bears delicious flavors and is something perfect for a busy weeknight or lazy weekend.
Makes: 8 tacos
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN SOFT TACO
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons chipotle salsa
- 4-5 chippolini onions yellow onions can be substituted; if so only one is probably needed
- Colby/jack cheese
- 8 Blue or regular corn tortillas
PEPPER JACK QUESADILLAS
- Pepper jack cheese
- Blue or regular corn tortillas
- ½ pineapple diced about 2 cups
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- Juice of one lime
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 1 diced Serrano pepper for heat
- ½ small head of red cabbage
- ½ small head of green cabbage
- 3 carrots scrubbed with tops and tip removed
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar I use organic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard or to taste
- Slice and grill the chippolini onions on both sides until done (about 3-4 minutes depending on how thickly sliced; they will become soft and transparent).
- While the onions are grilling, warm the chicken if not warm and toss with warmed chipotle salsa. You can do this in a saucepan or microwave it. I often buy an organic free range rotesseri chicken use that to make the shredded chicken (save the time but provides the quality)
- Melt desired amount of cheese on half of a tortilla (I used the microwave).
- When steps 1 and 2 are complete, place desired amount of chicken and onions on the tortilla, fold and devour!
- Place desired amount of cheese on a tortilla. Place a second tortilla on the top and microwave for 30-45 seconds to melt the cheese for a softer quesadilla or prepare in a skillet over medium heat until the cheese melts , watching carefully so they do not burn.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl. Can be served immediately or allowed to sit for 20 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- Shred the red cabbage, green cabbage and carrots (I did so in my food processor). Toss to combine in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine rice vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour onto slaw mixture and toss to cover.
- You can serve immediately or I made mine the night before and let it sit overnight with allowed the light dressing to soak in without making the slaw soggy.