Cool, crisp lettuce, tangy ginger dressing, steaming hot stir-fry all in one dish? Mongolian Beef Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette is ready in a flash, bursting with flavor and a great main dish salad you’ll love!
I was mentioning last week when I shared a favorite Lemon Garlic Broccoli recipe that I have been trying to eat more salad but failing, miserably I will add.
I don’t know why I can graze on fresh greens in the summer months three times a day without question but as soon as it’s chilly, it’s a no go for me.
If you want to try the standard Take Out recipe try this Mongolian Beef recipe too!
Embarrassingly I waste container after container of mixed greens as they get pushed to the back of the refrigerator until it’s too late. Does this happen to you too? Please say yes.
Ironically, I’ve been craving greens at the same time. Firm, crisp, crunchy greens with protein and a bold dressing. I had the idea to make Mongolian Beef Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette and am so happy I did!
Stir-fry recipes are a great, fast dinner option. A few of my favorites are Spicy Ginger Chicken Stir Fry and Spicy Garlic Sriracha Shirmp and Broccoli Stir Fry. They are quick to cook, healthy and easy to make. However it was this Spicy Southwestern Steak Stir Fry that sparked my salad idea.
Mongolian Beef is also a stir fry recipe that is easy to make. What you might not know is that traditional Mongolian beef has a high amount of sugar in the recipe (often ½-2/3 cups) and it’s essentially fried in oil which gives it that crispy finished texture.
More fat and sugar are not my goal at the moment so I created a lightened-up version to put on top of crunchy romaine lettuce hearts that are drizzled with a bold ginger dressing. YUM, right?! The flavors and textures are fantastic together. I add the beef right out of the wok onto the cool greens and love the two temperatures together.
This salad is a perfect main dish meal. The protein is filling and satisfying. The flavors fill the senses. AND it’s a great way to get a dose of greens in a fun and interesting way!
This Mongolian Beef Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette recipe is a feast for the senses! Crispy, cool romaine hearts topped with sizzling hot stir-fried beef and a drizzle of bold ginger dressing. Easy to prepare, fantastic flavor and satisfying!
Mongolian Beef Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
- 8 cups Romaine Lettuce Hearts , cut into 1-inch lengths
Ingredients for Ginger Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh peeled Ginger root
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Tamari (or regular soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1 medium Shallot , peeled
- 1 tablespoon Honey
Ingredients for Mongolian Beef:
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1 pound Flank Steak
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon diced Garlic Cloves
- 1 teaspoon diced peeled Ginger root
- ¼ cup Tamari (or regular soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 3 medium Scallions (green onions), sliced into 1-inch lengths (plus extra thin slices of the green portion for garnish)
- Optional garnish: sesame seeds
- Cut the flank steak horizontally and on the diagonal into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Put the cornstarch into a gallon size zipper plastic bag. Add the beef slices, seal and shake to fully coat. Allow to sit for 10 minutes (the beef will absorb much of the cornstarch).
- While the beef is resting, make the Ginger Vinaigrette by adding all the vinaigrette ingredients to a blender, food processor or mini chopper and process until fully combined and smooth. Pour into a bowl or jar and set aside.
- Prepare the Mongolian Beef: In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, heat the 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil. Add the garlic and ginger; sauté to for 2 minutes. Add the tamari, water, hoisin sauce and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium and allow to come to a simmer stirring often. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- In a non-stick wok or large skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil. Remove the beef from the cornstarch, shaking off any excess in the bag. Add to the wok/skillet and brown for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the sauce and the scallions. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often to coat and prevent any burning. Remove from heat.
- Put 2 cups of the lettuce in each of 4 large individual bowls or plates, dress with the ginger vinaigrette (you may have some left over to use on other salads). Divide the stir fried beef evenly between the four servings, garnish with scallion greens and sesame seeds (if desired) and serve.