This quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is deliciously creamy and cheesy with tender flavorful chunks of chicken. It’s a soul-warming comfort food recipe that is ready in about 30 minutes!
This is a one pot meal perfect for busy weeknights that the whole family will love! If you love easy chicken dinners
We love making slow cooker chicken and rice but this fast Instant Pot version is a favorite of the Instant Pot recipes. The creamy chicken, homey flavors and just the right amount of cheese keeps the rice mixture moist. It’s the ultimate comfort food, an easy dinner and a complete meal.
If you want to add more to the meal, add a side of fresh vegetables or fresh broccoli florets steams for a few minutes. It’s all you’ll need to pair with this great recipe.
Recipes Ingredients Notes
This Instant Pot cheesy chicken uses simple ingredients easy to find at the grocery store.
Jasmine Rice. This popular rice cooks quickly in the Instant Pot. Unfortunately it’s not possible to just swap other types of rice without possibly changing the water to rice ratio or the cooking time. Also some types of rice need to be rinsed; jasmine does not!
Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock. Use low sodium broth.
Frozen peas. They will not need to be thawed before using.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts. You’ll need 1 pound cut into 1-inch cubes.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice – Step-by-Step
Full printable recipe card at the end of the post. A 6-quart Instant Pot is used for this recipe.
STEP 1. Sauté
Set the Instant Pot to the SAUTE setting. Once it has heated add the olive oil and tablespoon of unsalted butter to melt in the inner pot.
Add the chopped onion, garlic and cubed carrots (photos 1-2). Sauté until the carrots begin to soften; 4 minutes.
Add the cubed chicken, salt and pepper (photo 3). Sear the chicken on all sides. Turn of the SAUTE function.
STEP 2. Scrape and Pressure cook
Add the uncooked rice and chicken broth (photos 4-5) to the Instant Pot.
Use a wooden spoon or stiff spatula to fully combine and scrape off any browned bits of food from the bottom of the pot (which can cause a burn notice).
Add the uncooked rice and chicken broth to the Instant Pot.
Seat the lid and place pressure release valve in the SEALING position. Select Pressure Cook (or Manual) and HIGH PRESSURE for 7 minutes cook time.
When the cooking cycle completes allow a NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE for 5 minutes; followed by a quick release for any remaining pressure.
STEP 3. Finish
Open the lid and turn off the Instant Pot. Stir the contents to fully mix together.
Add the frozen peas, chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese (photo 6); stir to fully combine.
Place the lid back on the Instant Pot and allow the mixture to sit for 5 additional minutes.
Stir and serve.
Boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenderloins can be used. The recipe can be prepared as written using either of these cuts of chicken instead of boneless chicken breasts.
How to Store
Refrigerator: Store the cooked chicken and rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Freezer. Allow the mixture to cool. Place in an airtight freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 minutes. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
Don’t swap the type of rice. Each type of rice requires a different ratio of water to rice, cooking times and some require rinsing first. Basmati rice is the closest in cooking time to jasmine rice but requires rinsing and a slightly longer cooking time. Brown rice requires as substantially longer cooking time and more liquid to is not a good fit for this recipe.
More recipes you’ll love!
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese plus more to serve
- Select SAUTE setting on the Instant Pot, and allow it to heat for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and allow the butter to melt.
- Add the onion, garlic, and carrots; cook until the carrot starts to soften (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add cubed chicken along with salt and black pepper powder. Sear the chicken on all sides. Turn off the SAUTE function.
- Add rice and chicken broth. Using a wooden spoon or firm spatula stir together while scraping any browned bits of food from the bottom of the Instant Pot liner. NOTE: any sticking food can cause a burn warning on newer Instant Pot models.
- Seal the lid and place the pressure valve on SEALING. Select the MANUAL HIGH PRESSURE and 7 minutes cooking time.
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes followed by a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and select the CANCEL button. Stir the mixture together to fully combine.
- Add peas, chopped parsley, and grated parmesan. Stir.
- Cover with the lid and allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes to cook the frozen peas.
- Serve hot garnished with more parsley and parmesan cheese.
Joy Smith says
Amazing recipe to impress my mother in law
Toni Dash says
So much to be said for that success!!
I love this sort of dish, and always have the ingredients on hand! Thanks for the easy IP version.
Heather Johnson says
love it – made this tonight for dinner – so simple!
This is so perfect for me. I’m super busy, so dinners can sometimes be a hassle. I love how tasty this is and how fast I can make it.
What a great family meal. This is perfect for a busy weeknight. So much flavor and so warm and comforting!
Claudia Lamascolo says
This easy recipe is a favorite here in our home and we make it often its perfect !