Tijuana Train Wreck
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 pound 85% fat ground beef
- 1 pound unseasoned ground pork
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chile powder (I used half Ancho Chile Powder and half Mild Chimayo Chile)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2-15 ounce can tomato sauce (or equivalent volume of home canned tomato sauce)
- 3-6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 1-4 ounce can mild green chilies (or fresh equivalent, chopped)
- 3 cups water
- Corn chips (originally recipe specified ‘Doritos’)
- Chopped lettuce and tomatoes
- Sliced black olives
- Grated sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese (mixed equally; use Pepper Jack if you want to spice it up)
- Sour Cream
Instructions for the Sauce:
- In a large skillet sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add ground beef and ground pork to skillet and brown. Drain if needed.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered for 2 ½ hours. Stir occasionally.
- On plate place a layer of corn chips, covered by the sauce, chopped lettuce and tomatoes, olives, cheese and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Toni (the Boulder Locavore) says
Newestobesession: I'm SO glad! I just was given a new cookbook from the 50's made by a group of women who would be close to 100 years old now. A version of this recipe was in that cookbook too. You've served up a piece of history!
Just made this tonight! Loved it!!
Looks amazing! We'd love for you to share with us over at foodepix.com
the food dude says
This looks awesome! A cold beer and a Tijuana Train Wreck…perfect!