Strawberry Margaritas are easy and delicious to make with fresh strawberries. Turn a classic margarita into a perfect summer sipper in minutes!
Only a few simple ingredients are needed to make this fresh style margarita. No sweet mixers or syrupy liqueurs are used and you’ll taste the difference.
Fresh ingredients make this favorite refreshing cocktail full of strawberry flavor. It’s an easy cocktail to make and fruity margarita for a hot summer day.
Easy Strawberry Margarita
Fresh fruit is a great way to convert regular margaritas into favorite summer cocktails. It’s refreshing and perfect for summer gatherings.
Strawberry daiquiri has always been a favorite (we love strawberry mojitos too) but this margarita recipe delivers fruit flavor just right for a hot day.
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
No margarita mix required for this easy fresh style margarita.
Fresh strawberries. Choose ripe strawberries for a perfect drink. They should not be hard, have white areas but also not have any blemishes.
Real strawberries are the key ingredient giving the summer flavor for the perfect margarita.
Tequila. Use a good quality tequila. Good Blanco or Silver tequila re the best with this . This type of tequila hasn’t been aged in wood barrels so has a lighter flavor that doesn’t compete with the fresh berries.
Lime juice. Use fresh lime juice. Squeezing the fresh fruit makes a big difference in the flavor. We use a handheld juicer for this.
TIP: Put the limes in the microwave for 10 seconds before juicing to release more juice!
Agave nectar. Used for sweetening the classic cocktail. If preferred honey, simple syrup or strawberry syrup can be used as substitutions.
Adjust the sweetness to taste if substituting.
Orange juice. Instead of using sweet Triple Sec, Grand Marnier or another orange liqueur, this cocktail uses the juice of half an orange.
Again, freshly squeeze for best flavor.
Ice. Will be used in the cocktail shaker and in the glasses.
How to Make Strawberry Margaritas – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. How to rim a glass with salt (optional)
Run a lime wedge around the rim of the glass. Place the rim into a small plate of coarse salt or margarita salt; turn gently to coat the rim.
Place the glass upright and allow to dry for a few minutes before pouring a cocktail in.
STEP 2. Make the cocktail
Add the fresh strawberries to a cocktail shaker or quart size Mason jar. Muddle until they create a fresh strawberry puree (photos 1-2). It won’t be fully smooth (photo 3).
Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice and agave nectar. Add a handful of ice. Seal and shake vigorously (photos 4-6).
Strain into a prepared glass with fresh ice (crushed ice can be used too).
What to serve with it
A light seafood or shrimp ceviche
Perfect for your next taco night
More Cocktail Recipes you’ll love!
- 1.5 cups ripe sliced Strawberries
- 4 ounces Blanco or Silver Tequila
- 1.5 ounces fresh Lime juice
- 1 ounce Agave nectar
- Juice from half an orange
- Ice for shaking the cocktail and fresh ice in the serving glasses
- Rim the glasses with salt if desired. Refer to the NOTES section below.
- Add the strawberries to a cocktail shaker or quart Mason jar. Muddle to roughly puree the berries and release the juices.
- Add the tequila, lime juice, agave nectar, orange juice and a handful of ice. Seal and shake vigorously.
- Strain into an old fashioned glass with fresh ice.
- Pull a lime wedge around the rim of a glass to wet it.
- Turn upside down in a small dish with 1/4-inch deep coarse salt or margarita salt.
- Gently turn the glass back and forth to coat.
- Sit the glass upright and allow the salt rim to dry before using.