Buttery garlic Shrimp Scampi is a flavor-packed classic recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes! Served over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes for a delicious easy dinner recipe anytime!
Shrimp Scampi is the secret weapon recipe that’s perfect any time.
Fresh, fast and fabulous. Big flavors of butter and garlic with perfectly cooked shrimp.
As perfect for a fast dinner as it is for entertaining company!
An easy no stress dinner recipe everyone will love.
What is Shrimp Scampi?
Shrimp Scampi is a buttery, garlic flavored shrimp recipe that’s fast and easy to make.
It’s usually served over pasta for a complete and satisfying main dish recipe.
The word ‘Scampi‘ is Italian for a crustacean most similar to a small lobster.
The recipe is made with shrimp but is an offshoot of how scampi were originally prepared.
- Prepared pasta regular or gluten-free
- Canola or Vegetable oil
- Unsalted butter
- large or jumbo uncooked Shrimp
- Dry white wine or Chicken Broth
- freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- Red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
Time Saving Shrimp Tip
Purchase the uncooked shrimp already deveined.
They can have tails on or removed; that’s your choice.
Deveining can take awhile and is some work. So buying them already done is a big time saver!
Fresh shrimp are recommended for this recipe.
If in a pinch, frozen, thawed uncooked shrimp may also be used.
What Kind of Wine to Use
A signature ingredient of Shrimp Scampi is the wine.
It makes the sauce delicious with a wonderful depth of flavor!
Use a Dry White Wine. ‘Dry’ means it is not a sweet white wine.
Any of these types of wine will be delicious:
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinot Grigio
- Pinot Gris
- Pinot Blanc
- Even dry sparkling wines will work
Shrimp Scampi without Wine
Chicken Stock or Broth, or Vegetable Stock can be substituted for the wine if preferred.
Most of the alcohol does cook off during making of the sauce, but not all of it.
PRO TIP #1: All ingredients should be prepared and ready before cooking starts.
This is a fast recipe. There won’t be time to prep ingredients while you cook.
PRO TIP #2: Don’t Over Cook the Shrimp!
Shrimp cooks very quickly and can dry out or become rubbery in texture.
How to tell shrimp is cooked:
When shrimp is raw it will be gray and transparent.
As it cooks it turns pink and opaque (can’t see through it).
How to Make Shrimp Scampi – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Combine the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat.
STEP 2: When the butter has melted add the garlic. Cook until fragrant (30-60 seconds).
STEP 3: Add the shrimp. Cook until pink (1-2 minutes per side) (photo 1).
STEP 4: Pour in the wine (photo 2), lemon juice (photo 3) and red pepper flakes. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes (wine should reduce by about half).
STEP 5: Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and parsley (photo 4).
Serve over hot prepared pasta or rice.
How to Thicken the Sauce
Shrimp Scampi has a thin sauce by design. However if you love a light creamy gravy texture you CAN thicken the sauce.
Here’s how to do that:
- After STEP 5 in the recipe card below (or STEP 4 above) remove the shrimp from the skillet with a slotted spoon.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into the skillet.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.
- Remove from heat, add the shrimp back to the pan, stir together and serve.
How to Store
Prepared shrimp scampi for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Store in an airtight container for maximum freshness.
Reheat in the microwave taking care not to overcook the shrimp.
What Goes with Shrimp Scampi
Shrimp scampi can be served over pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Make it a Meal with:
- Garlic Bread
- Lemon Garlic Broccoli
- Balsamic Roasted Asparagus with Goat Cheese and Toasted Walnuts
- Fresh Green Beans with Bacon and Sliced Almonds
- Lemony Romanesco with Pine Nuts
- Sicilian Cauliflower Salad
- Easy Beer Bread Recipe
- Irish Soda Bread
- 1 pound Prepared pasta (Angel Hair, Linguine, Spaghetti) regular or gluten-free: cooked al dente according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons Canola or Vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter divided in half
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 ¼ pound large or jumbo uncooked Shrimp peeled and deveined, tails on or off
- 1 cup dry white wine or Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/8 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt oil and 2 tablespoons butter together over medium-high heat.
- Cook garlic until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add shrimp. Cook 1-2 minutes per side (until shrimp is pink)
- Immediately pour in white wine or broth, lemon juice and red pepper flakes.
- Cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Shrimp will be opaque and light pink/white and wine should have reduced by half (or almost half). Don’t overcook shrimp.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the parsley.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.
- Garnish with lemon slices and additional red pepper flakes (if desired).