Sausage and Peppers is a colorful Italian favorite that’s loaded with flavor! Make it in the slow cooker for a hands-off meal that’s delicious over rice or on a roll covered in cheese.
Everyone loves sausage and peppers!
Simmered in tomato sauce with Italian seasonings, this Italian-American dish is easy to make in the slow cooker.
Perfect as a football watching food or a family dinner.
Easy Sausage and Peppers
This recipe is as easy as they come. Sometimes the simplest recipes really are the best!
A blend of aromatic spices brings out the savory flavor of the Italian sausage. The bright color of fresh bell peppers and tomatoes makes the dish look as good as it tastes!
I also love how many ways you can serve the slow cooker Sausage and Peppers.
Serve it on a toasted bun or keep it low carb with a bowl of cooked rice.
Sausage Peppers and Onions taste amazing over pasta or Zoodles too!
You’ll love this as a hassle free weeknight dinner or a serve-yourself party food.
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Here’s what you need to make crockpot Sausage and Peppers.
Crushed Tomatoes. Unseasoned with no added sugars.
Seasonings. Onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. This delicious combination of seasonings delivers the perfect flavors.
Italian Seasoning is a fantastic all-purpose blend for easy Italian recipe cooking.
Italian Sausage. Uncooked and in casing. Don’t use the pre-cooked sausage here.
Yellow onion. Sliced and added with the bell peppers.
Green, yellow and red bell peppers. I use this combination of peppers because I love the color variety.
If you prefer, you can use all one color or only two colors instead. Remove the seeds and inner membrane before slicing.
Red pepper flakes. These are optional. Omit them if you want your end dish to be less spicy.
Mozzarella cheese. This will be used on top of final sandwiches if serving that way.
Shred it yourself for best melting. Store bought shredded cheese does not melt well due to the caking agents added.
Fresh parsley. Chopped to add a pop of fresh flavor before serving.
Cooked rice or French rolls for serving. Regular or gluten-free buns can be used. If you can’t find long French rolls substitute hot dog buns!
What Sausage to Use
Mild Italian Sausage gives this Sausage and Peppers recipe the perfect balance of spicy and savory flavors.
Use a hot Italian sausage for a spicier dish or a sweet sausage for a mild version.
Chicken or turkey sausage make great substitutes for the traditional pork sausage here as well.
You could even swap out the Italian sausage for another similarly sized sausage link. Try Bratwurst or Kielbasa for a tasty variation!
Whichever version you use be sure it is not already cooked. Do not use a ‘heat and serve’ variety.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers is the perfect “set it and forget it” kind of recipe!
STEP 1. Add ingredients to the Crock Pot.
Pour the tomatoes and spices into the bottom of your slow cooker (photo 1). Arrange the sausage in a single layer over the sauce (photo 2).
Top the sausage with the sliced peppers and onions (photo 3).
STEP 2. Cover and cook
Put the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 5 – 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 -3 hours.
When done, the sausage will be cooked through and tender. The peppers and onions will soften into the simmering sauce (photo 4).
STEP 3. Serve
Garnish with parsley just before serving (photo 5).
Serve over a bowl of cooked white or brown rice, or make Sausage and Peppers sandwiches.
To make sandwiches: Slice French rolls and fill with the sausage, peppers and onions (photo 6).
Place the sandwiches on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with freshly grated mozzarella cheese.
Broil for 1 -2 minutes or until the cheese is melted (photo 7). Enjoy!
Recipe FAQ + Pro Tips
Why make Sausage and Peppers in the slow cooker?
There are several reasons that the crock pot is my preferred method for this recipe.
First, using a slow cooker helps the flavors better combine.
Each bite is full of vibrant flavor that develops best over longer cooking time.
You can’t beat the simplicity of a slow cooker recipe either.
Spend a few minutes prepping the sausage, peppers and onions then walk away.
You’ll have time to tackle the rest of your to-do list and still sit down to a delicious homemade dinner!
I don’t have a slow cooker! How can I make this on the stove top?
Making sausage and peppers on the stove top is simple, but does take a little more attention.
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, brown the sausage on all sides first, then remove from the pan and drain excess grease.
- Add the tomatoes and spices to the stock pot followed by the sausage, peppers and onions.
- Cover and cook on low until the sausage is cooked through (160 F).
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Enjoy within 3 -4 days by reheating on the stove top or in the microwave.
Did you know you can freeze sausage and peppers too?
Transfer to a freezer safe container and it’ll keep well for 3 -4 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating and serving.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Sausage Pasta Skillet
- White Bean Soup (Instant Pot recipe)
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin White Bean Sausage Chili
- Lasagna Soup
- Italian Cream Cake
Sausage and Peppers (Slow Cooker)
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce package mild Italian sausages uncooked in casings (not loose) 5-6 links
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeds removed and sliced
- ½ medium red bell pepper seeds removed and sliced
- ½ medium yellow bell pepper seeds removed and sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- French bread rolls or cooked rice for serving
- Add the crushed tomatoes and spices (onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper) to the slow cooker.
- Place Italian sausage links on top of the sauce. Top with a layer of the onions and sliced peppers.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours, or HIGH for 2-3 hours. Garnish with the fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately in French bread rolls topped with shredded mozzarella or over cooked rice. Enjoy!
How easy is that? Sausage and Peppers with onions, tomatoes and Italian spices will have everyone at the party asking for seconds.