Whether using up Thanksgiving or Christmas leftovers, or just wanting a quick and hardy dish, this naturally gluten-free Italian Turkey Mashed Potato Frittata is just what you want! Great for many meal, full of flavor and very easy to prepare.
If you live in the United States, chances are you have been working your way through a mountain of Thanksgiving leftovers for the last few days. If your household is anything like mine, the luster of the leftover plates loaded high mimicking the Thanksgiving meal itself has worn off. It’s time for a new spin on leftovers to appreciate them as much as the original feast itself!
The frittata is a highly undervalued meal option. If you haven’t had the pleasure of making one, it is an egg-based recipe that begins on the stove top and is transferred into the oven to puff up and finish cooking. Basically, a form of an omelet with no folding or flipping of it. The cooking time takes about 15 minutes total (depending on what ingredients are added to the eggs). Once the non-egg ingredients are sautéed and the eggs poured in, the frittata is not touched until it is finished cooking.
A frittata is a highly flexible recipe. It’s like that friend who no matter what you want to go off and do they are game for it. You want to turn it into a Mexican frittata? Sure, why not! A simple egg and herb frittata for a Francophile-inspired brunch dish? Yep, no problem. No time on a weeknight and need a fast dinner option? The frittata is your best friend. It can be kept light and simple, or take on hardier ingredients like meat and potatoes for a more substantial dish.
I set my mind to taming my Thanksgiving leftovers into a fun frittata I knew my family would devour: Italian Turkey Mashed Potato Frittata. It takes some of your leftover turkey and mashed potatoes pairs them with sautéed onions, red pepper, a blend of grated Italian cheese and Italian parsley for a filling, flavorful, fast recipe!
Frittata are another f-word too: flexible. Just as perfect for breakfast or brunch as they are for lunch and dinner, you can make it any time. Also, we reheat our frittata slices in the microwave with no complaints. Frittatas are definitely a must have in your meal-making arsenal.
I always keep bags of pre-grated cheese blends on hand which makes this frittata even faster to prepare. Italian and Mexican blends are available in the dairy section of the supermarket and cut the prep time and mess down. Of course home grated cheese may be substituted as well.
Italian Turkey Mashed Potato Frittata
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ medium Yellow Onion , peeled and chopped (about ¾-1 cup)
- ½ large Red Sweet Bell Pepper , seeded and chopped (about ¾-1 cup)
- 1 cup Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup Turkey , chopped
- 8 Eggs , room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Half and Half
- ¾ cup grated Italian Cheese Blend (available in the dairy section of the grocery store; alternatively home grated provolone, mozzarella, romano, pecorino, asiago or other Italian cheese may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the olive oil to a 10-inch cast iron or other heat proof skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper; sauté until the onions become translucent and limp, and the bell pepper has softened (3-4 minutes).
- Add the mashed potatoes to the skillet and mix with the onions and bell pepper, breaking up the potatoes until they become smooth and fully combined with the vegetables. Add the turkey in mix in.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs together. Add in the half and half, salt, pepper, 3/4 cups of the cheese; whisk to combine.
- Spread the skilled mixture to evenly cover the bottom of the skillet. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the vegetable-potato-turkey mixture in the skillet and sprinkle the diced Italian parsley over the top.
- Allow the frittata to cook undisturbed over medium heat until the edges are set; 3-4 minutes. Place the frittata in the heated oven and allow it to finish cooking for 10-12 minutes until the liquid is gone and the top is fluffy and lightly browned. Sprinkle on the remaining ¼ cup cheese and allow to melt 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the remaining ¼ cup cheese and allow to melt 1-2 minutes. Remove from oven, cut into 8 wedges and serve immediately. Any leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator and reheated in the microwave or oven.