If you love a great peanut butter cookie recipe, this one will be a favorite. Delicious peanut butter with mini chocolate chips AND Reese’s Pieces candies combine into a dream cookie combo for a peanut butter lover.
Whether you are looking for a spin on delicious peanut butter cookies or something new for Christmas cookie exchanges, these Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies are a solid win. Loads of peanut butter flavor and they taste like Reese’s peanut butter cups thanks to mini chocolate chips.
It’s great recipe for amazing cookies with no dough chilling required.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Peanut butter and peanut butter; a double dose of peanut butter flavor
- Easy recipe
- Great texture
- Can be made regular or gluten-free
- Freezes well
Recipe Ingredient Notes
All purpose flour. Regular all purpose flour or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour can be used. For gluten-free cookies we recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 flour blend.
Cornstarch. Adding cornstarch to cookies helps keep them from spreading and gives a soft texture. These Reese’s peanut butter cookies have nice crisp edges and a soft middle texture.
Peanut Butter. We recommend a creamy peanut butter. Do not use natural peanut butter where the oil separates. This will effect the texture of the cookies. Regular Skippy or Jif is a great choice.
Unsalted butter. Be sure to start the recipe with softened butter (room temperature). Do not start with cold butter.
Mini chocolate chips. Using mini chocolate chips gets more chocolate in every bite!
Reese’s pieces candies. You’ll need 1 cup.
How to make Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 2. Make the dough
Dry ingredients: whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt (photo 1). Set aside.
Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a handheld mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until creamy (photo 2). Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Add the flour mixture and beat until a thick dough forms (photo 3).
Stir in the Reese’s Pieces and chocolate chips (photo 4).
STEP 3. Scoop and Bake
Use a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop (ice cream scoop style) to scoop the peanut butter cookie dough. Place the cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly with the back of the scoop or fingers. Add more Reese’s Pieces to the top of each cookie if desired (photo 5).
Bake for 10-12 minutes (monitor for doneness) until edges are golden and the center is still soft. Do not over bake.
STEP 4. Cool
Allow the cookies to cool on the pan until the center of each cookie sets, then transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely (photo 6).
Use peanut butter chips. For peanut butter flavor in place of the Reese’s pieces swap in peanut butter baking chips.
Use a stand mixer if possible. The cookie dough becomes quite thick which makes using a stand mixer easier than a hand mixer.
Making large cookies. A larger scoop (3 tablespoon scoop for instance) can be used for larger cookies. Be sure to lengthen the bake time and test for doneness if making larger size cookies.
Be sure to scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl. The candies and mini chocolate chips can settle to the bottom of the bowl. Be sure to stir the dough together before scooping the cookies to include all the goodies.
Use a cookie scoop. These help scoop the dough in far less time as well as ensure all the cookies are the same size so they bake in the same time.
How to Store
After the cookies cool completely store in an airtight container for up to a week or longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can! Creamy peanut butter blend more smoothly but if you love crunchy peanut butter swap it in.
Yes! Wait until they are fully cooled. Add to a freezer safe airtight container container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
More recipes you’ll love!
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter not natural peanut butter that separates
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Reese’s Pieces candies
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until a thick dough forms.
- Fold in the Reese’s Pieces and chocolate chips.
- Use a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Use the back of the scoop to press the top of the cookie down slightly. Top with additional Reese’s Pieces, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are golden but the center is still soft.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan until the center sets, then transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.