Mini Gooseberry Pies
Tiny pies made with fresh gooseberries are a special treat!
- 1/3 of a whole pie crust recipe per pie (click here for the CIA’s recipe and slide show)
- 1 cup gooseberries trimmed/stemmed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons arrowroot starch tapioca or cornstarch would work as well
- 1 egg for an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the gooseberries, sugar, lemon juice and starch. Stir to fully combine and coat the berries. Allow to sit at room temperature.
- Prepare pie crust and line mini pie pan or tart pan with crust reserving excess to create a lattice top or cut out for the top. I used a mini tart pan that measures 4 ¼ inches in diameter x 1 ½ inches high.
- Spoon berry mixture into the pie crust. Create a lattice top (by cutting ½ inch crust strips to weave on the top) or place crust cut outs on the pie. Combine one egg and one teaspoon of water; whisk to fully combine. Gently brush the pie rim and lattice top or cut out with the wash.
- Place pie on cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until top of pie and crust begin to turn golden brown. Check the pie halfway through baking. If egg wash has soaked in brush the pie again to ensure a glossy browned end result.
- Remove and cool fully before serving or eating.