Looking for a make-ahead breakfast (or dessert) option that’s packed with protein? This Creamy Overnight Oatmeal Pudding with Cherries is made with a mere handful of ingredients and is simple to make. A great way to start your day right!
I am a victim of ‘breakfast boredom’. It can be a struggle to make breakfast interesting and it also needs to be fast.
My favorite smoothie recipes that I happily chug when the weather is warm are harder to drink when it’s cold outside.
I usually run out of time after making my kids school lunches and have to grab something on the go (these Supersonic Peanut Butter Energy Bars are good for that).
When I was in college I used to love to make oatmeal for breakfast. It was elevated to a poor student’s art form more than a recipe really.
There was the oatmeal itself, a bit of milk or yogurt, fruit, and nuts. I think somewhere in the compilation of it all we fancied ourselves as breakfast Bon Vivants for the chic of our earthy creation.
That came to a screeching halt when visiting a nutritionist to assess my diet and having him tell me to get more energy I needed to be eating tuna salad for breakfast. That was a good news bad news type of deal in that it thrust me well passed my breakfast ‘box’. I only had a handful of foods I imagined appropriate for breakfast to that point. The bad news is that is left oatmeal on the shelf as it did not deliver enough protein to keep me going until lunch.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it can be made with dairy milk, nut milk or oat milk!
I do love anything I can prepare outside the hustle and bustle of a school morning so decided to make a Creamy Overnight Oatmeal Pudding with Cherries and trail mix (I guess I can’t quit let that layering passion from college go). The oatmeal is super creamy and chills overnight. It can be eaten cool or gently warmed in the microwave to suit your mood. A drizzle of maple syrup, some cherries (frozen and thawed or fresh), any other favorite fruit and some trail mix really make a perfect high protein breakfast to kick off your day!
The texture and flavor also make it an option for a sweet treat or dessert too (think rice pudding)!
Creamy Overnight Oatmeal Pudding with Cherries
- 1 cup Rolled Oats (not instant); gluten-free or regular
- 2 cups Milk dairy, nut milk or oat milk
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup (plus additional for sweetening servings to taste)
- 1 cup pitted Cherries (fresh or frozen/thawed)
- ½ cup Trail Mix
- Combine the oats, 1 ½ cups nutmilk and the water in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Cook for 4 minutes or until the rolled oats are soft.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool slightly (5 minutes), stirring periodically to release heat. Stir in the remaining ½ cup nutmilk and the tablespoon maple syrup. Cover and chill overnight.
- To serve: The following morning dish ¼ of the pudding into a serving bowl, topped with a drizzle of additional maple syrup to taste, ¼ cup of the cherries and 2 tablespoon of the trail mix to top.