- 3 ounces dried barley* see note below if gluten free
- 5 ounces dried split peas
- 5 ounces dried lima beans
- 5 ounces dried red beans
- 6 stalks celery chopped
- 6 Swiss chard leaves chopped
- 1/4 small head cabbage shredded
- 1 leek cleaned and chopped
- 5 ounces salt pork finely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces or sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash cut into bite-sized pieces or sliced
- 3 ounces uncooked macaroni noodles I use Tinkyada gluten free brown rice Elbow pasta
- 1 strip Kombu seaweed optional
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Do the following three steps at the same time:
- Rinse and drain the split peas and barley. Place in a medium sauce pan with 2 quarts water and bring to a boil. Boil for one hour. Drain.
- Rinse lima beans. Place in a medium sauce pan with 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Boil for one hour then mash. Note: the water should be almost gone when cooking is done. If you find you need to add more water, do so one cup at a time so there is not too much water when boiling is complete.
- Rinse red beans. Place in a medium sauce pan with 7 cups water and bring to a boil. Boil for one hour and 15 minutes. (See note for lima beans about adding more water if needed). Drain and set aside.
- In a large stock pot add split peas, barley (or rice if using that), celery, chard, cabbage, kombu seaweed (if using) and leek with 5 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer over low heat.
- In a large frying pan on medium-high heat combine salt pork, onion and garlic stirring frequently until browned (10-15 minutes).
- Add tomato puree, tomatoes. Cook a few minutes to combine and then add to the stock pot.
- Add red beans. Simmer 30 minutes from time of adding the pork/tomato ingredients.
- Add mashed lima beans, salt, pepper, dry basil to stock pot. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Cook the pasta as instructed on the package; drain. Add to the soup 5 minutes before serving! Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.