Suffice it to say our recipient was genuinely surprised (wouldn’t you be?). Perhaps taken aback but being a gentile sort, graciously appreciative and hopped on to try it out.
Coq au Vin Fondue
A fun twist on a classic French recipe in fondue form.
- 3 strips smoked bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup prepared marinara sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pearl onions thawed if frozen
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms halved
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into ¾ inch pieces
- Place the fondue pot over medium heat on a stove burner. Add bacon to the pot; cook over medium heat until browned. Stir flour into the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, wine, marinara sauce, garlic and herbes de Provence and bring to a simmer. Add the salt and pepper ‘to taste’.
Transfer the fondue pot with liquid to the fondue stand with heat source lit.
Add the onions, mushrooms and chicken pieces to forks and put into liquid. NOTE: each of these items cooks for different lengths of time so do not place chicken on a skewer with the mushrooms or onions.
Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes, mushrooms and onions for 1 to 2 minutes each.
Adapted from Not Your Mother’s Fondue cookbook