Suffice it to say our recipient was genuinely surprised (wouldn’t you be?). Perhaps taken aback but being a gentile sort, graciously appreciative and hopped on to try it out.
Coq au Vin Fondue
- 3 strips smoked bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup prepared marinara sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pearl onions thawed if frozen
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms halved
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into ¾ inch pieces
- Place the fondue pot over medium heat on a stove burner. Add bacon to the pot; cook over medium heat until browned. Stir flour into the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, wine, marinara sauce, garlic and herbes de Provence and bring to a simmer. Add the salt and pepper ‘to taste’.
- Transfer the fondue pot with liquid to the fondue stand with heat source lit.
- Add the onions, mushrooms and chicken pieces to forks and put into liquid. NOTE: each of these items cooks for different lengths of time so do not place chicken on a skewer with the mushrooms or onions.
- Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes, mushrooms and onions for 1 to 2 minutes each.