We’ve reached the part of the summer where it’s so hot I’m not interested in eating anything! I walk through the grocery store with my kids staring at food with no inspiration for mealtime. I’m convinced my muse has split for her own tropical vacation.
I recently bought a new kitchen gadget that has perked up my interest; a Sprializer. The whimsical end result of the gadget is popping up all over the internet with ‘pasta’ made purely from vegetables, fruit ribbons and more. I’m not usually one to jump on a trendy bandwagon and certainly my kitchen is bursting with niche gadgets already, however I love the idea of more easily incorporating fruits and vegetables into our family meals in unexpected ways. It decreases cooking time (perfect for summer) and increases the nutrition we all need.
The Spiralizer really works best with firm fruits and vegetables and my ideas was for a bed of cucumber ‘noodles’ topped with juicy, cool, naturally-sweet melon balls and a light dressing. A healthy salad to quench the heat and inviting to the palate. I did not want a heavy vinaigrette but a smidge of a tang and a bit of some sweetness would be a perfect complement to the refreshing cucumber and sweet, juicy melon.
Though any neutral oil could be used I chose Grapeseed which is mild in flavor in a fantastic green hue. As it sounds, grapeseed oil is derived from the seeds of grapes. For cooking it has a reasonably high smoke point. The flavor is light, clean and non-distinct making it perfect for dressings, as well as it is high in polyunsaturated fats which is a good attribute of fats and oils. It is a great oil to keep in your pantry and perfect on this salad!
Cucumber Melon Spa Salad
This light, refreshing, juicy salad is not only healthy but perfect to stave off the summer heat. Spiralized cucumber noodles provide a bed for mixed melon balls, lightly dressed in a grapeseed oil mint dressing.Should a spiralizer not be available, the cucumber may be cut into any desirable shape; thinly sliced, cut into matchsticks or thin shavings with a peeler. No matter what the shape, the salad will be delicious!
Ingredients for Cucumber Melon Spa Salad:
- 2 cups Cucumber 'noodles' (using the 1/8-inch 3mm noodle blade)
- 1 1/2-2 cups mixed Melon balls (cantelope, honeydew, crenshaw, etc); sizes of the melon balls can also be varied for visual interest
- Optional: Torn mint leaves to garnish
Ingredients for Spa Salad Dressing:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh Mint , diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Agave Nectar
- On serving plates assemble a bed of cucumber noodles, 1 cup per plate. Add melon balls equally to each plates.
- Combine ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl; whisk to fully combine. Lightly dress each salad. Torn mint leaves may be added if desired.
Yield: Makes 2 side salads and 1/3 cup dressing.