Moist, slightly sweet Cornbread is fast and easy to make! Better than a mix but just as easy. Change it up in 6 different ways (variations included).
Servings 16 squares
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend)
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
VARIATIONS (if making a variation the mix in ingredients are listed below by variation)
- 1 cup Corn (canned (drained), frozen or fresh)
- 1/4 cup chopped Jalapeno Peppers or Bell Peppers
- 1 cup Corn (canned/drained, frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Mexican Cheese blend
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 6 ounces grated Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup seeded, chopped Jalapeno Peppers
PEPPER JACK BACON
- 6 strips Bacon chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Green Onion
- 1 cup fresh Raspberries
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Lemon Peel
- 2 tablespoons sliced/slivered almonds add to top before baking
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare an 8-inch baking pan with a non-stick spray. Optional: Line with foil and spray with a non-stick spray for easier removal.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Mix in the egg, milk and oil until well combined.
MIX INs: If making a variation of the cornbread, add the mix in ingredients listed above at this step.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool fully on a rack before cutting and serving.
Nutritional Facts for plain Cornbread (no mix ins).
This recipe has been tested multiple times with regular All Purpose Flour and with gluten-free measure-for-measure flour.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 157mg | Potassium: 115mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg