Peppery Sausage White Bean Kale Soup
This simple, hearty, savory soup is a signature of the cold weather season. Soul-warming.
Servings 16 (total yeild: 4 quarts)
- 1 medium Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 stalks Celery (with leaves), chopped
- 2 large Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ pound loose Spicy Italian Sausage
- 2 large Tomatoes cored and chopped
- 1 29-ounce can Cannellini Beans (or other white bean), drained
- 1 quart Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 bunch Curly Kale leaves stripped from stems and hand shredded
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
In a large pot (6 quarts or larger), brown the Italian Sausage over medium heat (5 minutes).
Add the onion, celery and carrots; cook 10 minutes stirring frequently.
Add the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes; stirring frequently.
Add the cannellini beans, chicken broth and 1 quart water. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil then reduce heat bringing the soup to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the kale leaves, stirring to combine with soup. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add salt and pepper (taste to ensure it meets your personal preference).
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 485mg | Potassium: 259mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1780IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.8mg