Spicy Apple Crisp with Cranberries and Walnuts
A simple Apple Crisp recipe dressed up for fall with dried cranberries, walnuts and a bit of chile powder!
Servings 9 servings
- 5-7 Red Apples , peeled and sliced to yield 8 cups (Honeycrisp, Jonathan or other non-tart Heirloom varieties preferably)
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Dried Cranberries (apple juice sweetened if available, usually at stores like Whole Foods)
- ½ cup Walnuts , chopped
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½-3/4 teaspoon Mild Chile Powder
- ¾ cup Flour (gluten-free or regular depending on your dietary needs)
- 1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) unsalted Butter, cold
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl combine the sliced apples, lemon juice, cranberries, walnuts, ½ cup of the sugar, and the spices. Mix well by hand to combine.
Place into a 9-inch by 9-inch square pan.
In a medium bowl combine the remaining ½ cup sugar, flour and cut in the butter with a dough/pastry blender (or fork) until crumbly.
Sprinkle over apple mixture.
Bake for 40 minutes or until the topping becomes golden.
Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Serving: 3g | Calories: 301kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 148mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 0.8mg