Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
The low slow cooking develops fantastic flavor for this rustic, classic soup. It's a great way to use up holiday ham and the ham bone. Ham hocks may also be substituted any time of year.
- 1 medium Yellow Onion , chopped
- 2 stalks medium-large Celery , rinsed and chopped
- 3 large Carrots , scrubbed and chopped
- 1 Ham Bone (or 2 ham hocks)
- 1 pound dried Split Peas
- 8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 cup chopped ham (if there is not meat on the ham bone)
Add the vegetables to the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker.
Add the split peas and place the ham bone on top.
Pour in the chicken stock and add the bay leaves. Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Remove any meat from the ham bone and add back to the soup before serving. Salt and pepper to taste. Additional ham may be added if desired.
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 878mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3950IU | Vitamin C: 3.7mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 3.1mg