Easy Chana Masala (spicy chickpea stew)
This spicy, fragrant chickpea stew is a delicious Indian classic served with rice. A favorite take-out dish easily made at home.
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium Red Onion chopped
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh Ginger peeled and minced
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Serrano Pepper diced (seeds discarded)
- 2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 15-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans Chickpeas drained
- prepared rice for serving
- fresh cilantro chopped for garnish (optional)
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the red onion with a pinch of the salt and cook until translucent, around 5 minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic and serrano pepper cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the spices (cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, turmeric and garam masala); cook an additional minute.
Add the tomatoes cook 1 minute.
Raise heat to medium high. Add the chickpeas. Bring to a full simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to a gentle simmer and cook until the chickpeas are soft. 20-25 minutes.
Serve over prepared rice. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
Store it in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove top over medium-low heat or in the microwave.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 441mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 135IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg