Vegetarian Korean Noodles
These Korean Noodles are inspired by the celebrated Korean noodle dish Japchae. They have classic Asian flavors with caramelized mushrooms. It's a vegetarian recipe that's satisfying and delicious.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1 14-ounce package ‘Stir Fry’ rice noodles cooked according to package directions
- ¼ cup soy sauce regular or gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable stock chicken stock can also be used
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
Melt the butter and sesame oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
Add the mushrooms and cook, without moving for 5 minutes. Toss and cook for 3 more minutes or until caramelized.
Add the red onion and garlic clove and stir to combine, cook until the onion is slightly translucent, around 3 minutes.
Add the kale and sauté until just wilted.
Reduce the heat to medium. Pour the soy sauce, rice vinegar, stock, honey and ginger and stir to combine.
Add the cooked noodles and toss so everything is well coated. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring/tossing constantly, just until all ingredients are combined.
Serve topped with green onions and sesame seeds.
Soy sauce: regular or gluten-free can be used. Tamari may also be used.
Add some spicy heat: add some red pepper flakes when serving.
The secret is to cook the mushrooms until caramelized, that’s what gives this dish all the flavor! To caramelize the mushrooms cook them without stirring or moving around.
- Transfer any leftover noodles to an airtight container. Store in the refridgerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat the japchae in the microwave before enjoying. The noodles will stiffen as they cool and reheating returns them to their soft, chewy consistency.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 880mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1792IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg