Fennel and Orange Salad
Fennel Orange Salad is an exciting mix of sweet and spicy flavors. It's a simple, fresh winter salad perfect for any meal.
- 1 large Fennel bulb
- 2 Oranges peeled and supremed*
- 1 Serrano pepper thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Zest of half a Lime
- 2 teaspoons White balsamic vinegar
- Pinch flaked Sea Salt
Using a large sharp chef's knife, slice off the bottom of the fennel. Then, thinly slice the bulb up until the stalks turn to fronds. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the fronds.
Place the fennel and the 2 tablespoons of fronds in a large serving bowl.
Add the orange, lime and sliced serrano peppers. Toss to combine.
In a small bowl or jar combine the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and lime zest. Whisk or (if in a jar with lid) shake to combine.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Finish by sprinkling the flaked sea salt on top.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to 'supreme' an Orange
This allows the flesh of the orange to be exposed versus pulling the orange into segments.
- Using a sharp knife but the peel of each end of the orange
- Slice under the peel on the sides of the orange using the contour of the orange as a guide
- Once the peel is cut away cut the orange into segments.
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 166IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg