Pumpkin Baked Mac and Cheese
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese with a crisp breadcrumb and cheese top is easy to make and delicious. The addition of a little pumpkin gives a rich color and flavor without making it taste like pumpkin!
Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree store bought or homemade
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound (16 ounces) cooked elbow pasta regular or gluten-free
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- ½ cup breadcrumbs regular or gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter chopped
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan.
Melt the 2 tablespoons of the unsalted butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the pumpkin puree and cook for 3 minutes.
Whisk in the garlic powder, onion powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt and pepper.
Add the flour and whisk to combine.
Pour the milk and slowly whisking until incorporated. Cook for 3 minutes or until thickened.
Combine the sauce mixture, cooked pasta, cheddar and gruyere cheeses. Toss to combine. Spoon evenly into the prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the mac and cheese. Follow with the chopped butter and parmesan cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Store bought or homemade pumpkin puree can be used. Be sure NOT to use pumpkin pie filling which is sweetened.
Short cut idea
After making the mac and cheese if you don't have time to bake it, it will still be delicious. It just won't have the crusty top layer of the breadcrumbs and cheese.
Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 553mg | Potassium: 270mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5313IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 372mg | Iron: 2mg